O'Day 28 Tiller to Wheel Conversion

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
I was able to score a pedestal with wheel, quadrant and turning block for a great price. Now for installation. Does anyone have any pictures of the tiller with quadrant attached? How much of the rudder tube was cut out? Any identifying marks or info on the stuffing box for the bottom half? Any and all info is appreciated!

I debated on making this conversion, as I have always had a tiller, but guests and the wife would enjoy the wheel much better....and the price was right.

I measure the rudder stock at 2.5". So the quadrant will need to be modfied slightly to fit. I should have a better idea on complexity this fall when I pull the rudder.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Not sure what brand the wheel setup you purchased is, but EDSON is probably the most popular brand, and they offer "Steering Data Sheets" with the basic diagrams to follow for different boats, they should have one for the O'DAY 28 (I'm 99% positive!) and if your wheel setup is from them, they are as close as a phone call to their customer service dept. I'm sure.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
thanks sunbird. i found the spec sheets and most of the part nbers match up, though the diameter isnt right, 2 vs 2.5. customer service is good advise
except where is the sport if
we cant add pictures or start internet discussions on tiller vs wheel, and how to fix things

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I love the 28 after having time shared one for two seasons. If I had one with a tiller I would never consider converting to wheel because a tiller is easier to use and maintain, more reliable, less cost, more precise, easiest to add auto helm, and more salty to boot. But the most important reason I would prefer a tiller is the design of the 28 cockpit. There is just no way to move fore and aft around the wheel without climbing over the seats and also anyone sitting there.
Of course there are advantages to the wheel too and your boat your choice as always. I should add how ever that I have removed, rebuilt and replaced my wheel steering system. ....never again, would rather sell than do that again.

Jun 2, 2004
Original Factory-supplied optional wheel was 28" diam. Cockpit was probably designed around that size wheel to allow easier movement past wheel. However, I'm sure many boats may have been upgraded to a larger wheel as that 28" sounds small compared to more modern boats?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I doubt that the cockpit is 28 floor inches wide. Even on the 34 getting around the wheel is too tight. Yes a 28 inch wheel is small.

Last edited:

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
The standard factory (Edson) wheel was designed expressly for the O'Day 272 at Edson. It is extremely sensitive as it is a pull-pull design that is extremely sensitive in either direction....For many years Edson had an installation cut sheet on their web-site and I heard that the installation was not difficult....I've not found the cockpit too small for the wheel and we were given a
9 inch wide teak helmsman's seat from a friend that took the design out of practical sailor....I can take pictures and send them to you by email as I'm evidently not smart enough to send them to this website....The wheel makes sailing in heavier winds a real pleasure....light winds less so....also, my wife and non-sailing friends that come aboard seem to be able to get use to the wheel very quickly....With the 28 inch wheel, it is difficult to get my leg past the wheel as the 28 inch radius reduces the clearance between the wheel and cockpit chamfer to about 3 inches...but I'm use to it and no one to date (since 1986) has had a problem with access....I can lock off the wheel and go forward then below to prepare a scotch with no issues...or send a friend to take care of me...or have he or she helm the boat....if you have more questions let me know...I can also email you some pictures...patrick...my email address is pcoulter2@cox.net. I live in Wichita, Ks.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
THanks for the feedback Patrick, definitely, any pictures you can share is better, esp. if you can get pictures of the rudder tube with quadrant. I am especially interested in the bushings, seals used, as the current setup is a solid frp layup over the rudder shaft.

Jun 2, 2004
Pat, EDSON did make the RLA (Remote Linear Actuator) system that was more or less specially designed originally for the 272, but that is just one of MANY systems that they made and it was only for outboard rudders. The setup for the 28 was a more traditional setup with a quadrant mounted to the rudder shaft. The O'DAY 280 used the RLA system (the 280 was really just a 272 hull with a different deck, so a 28' boat that only measured 26'11" LOA) the 280 ad the 28 are two VERY different boats. The Steering Data Sheet (PDF) attached shows the setup for the 28, it uses the "Radial Drive" instead of a quadrant, but a quadrant could be used if 2 more pulleys are added to the setup, or those "Pull-Pull" cables used with a special conduit bracket. Unfortunately for 272 owners (as well as many other O'DAYs with outboard rudders) the RLA is no longer available, although EDSON has introduced a pretty slick alternative, that I do not have a drawing of ready to post.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
You are correct....the RLA was a fabulous system that was (is) extremely sensitive as it is a pull--pull system..A lot of people have been at the helm of our boat and cannot believe it is as sensitive as it is...makes sailing in a breeze a pure pleasure. Pat

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Measured the wheel with this system: 24". I set in in location and can just squeeze by.

I checked Edson site, and the boat this was recycled from call out the same quadrant, turning blocks, pedestal and wheel, BUT that boat was a 2" diameter rudder shaft, No Worries carries a 2.5" rudder post. I will need to understand how to mount the extra bushings, seals and quadrant.

Thanks for the advice to contact