need marine survey for a cal 20 in Long Beach

Jul 20, 2011
1974 Macgregor 22 SoCal - dry storage
would like to put a cal20 in a marina but they require a survey, can anyone give me some surveyor names? thanks.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
on your cal 20 be sure to check out and operate the lift mechanism for the swing keel. it can be an expensive repair if that needs r and r. negotiate the price down by 1,000$. ?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
But they do have keel bolts that rust quite a bit, sometimes needing replacement. The iron keel flanges where it attaches to the hull; it is through-bolted there with, I believe, 8 counter-sunk keel bolts in side-by-side pairs along the length. They are nutted inside; the bolt head outside is slotted. If flange and bolts are not seated properly the boat will leak, of course. Also, it's been known that the shank of the bolts where they pass through the hull can rust out even when the bolts look "OK" from the nutted side. If this happens to more than one, it might cause the keel to fall off under strain (i.e., when sailing). The boat may start leaking around the damaged bolts, especially if rusted completely through, in time to prevent that if you're paying attention. Also, the standing rigging can look pretty shabby after a couple of decades, or more.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Even if it was swing keel where would you take it to get ripped off for 1000's? I fixed mine myself and it had a 600 lb keel with cable wench! (Clipper Marine 26) Chief

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
To actually answer the original question that was asked....
A good surveyor in the area is Jim Wallace, phone: (310) 617-9385.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Personally, if I already owned the boat, and knew its condition, I would hire a friend to survey it and submit it to the marina... or do it myself.
ANYONE can hang out a shingle and legally call themselves a surveyor... so in your case, Its the cheapest way to get thru the bureaucracy...
BUT... its for this EXACT reason that when you buy a new used boat and need to have a survey done, its well worth the time to check the reputation of who you are hiring to do the survey...

Last edited:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Marina wanting a survey could possibly be a liability/ insurance thing. Ie, is your boat likely to explode setting the entire marina on fire. Maybe you are going to need a surveyer that meets some requirements set by the marina and they have a list of names?

Jul 20, 2011
1974 Macgregor 22 SoCal - dry storage
thanks for all the replies. I actually haven't purchased the boat yet. Planning to do a 50/50 partnership with the owner but he needs to have it moved to a new marina which requires a survey.