Mounting Tabernacle (directly to cuddy) 1981 DS II

Aug 30, 2016
O'day Daysailer Westford, MA
image.jpg image.jpg
I'm replacing a slide in version of the tabernacle with a hinged type on my Oday Day Sailer II. It is the type that mounts directly to the cuddy (not through cabin type). I'm concerned that the angle of the mast is too forward as the tabernacle follows the pitch of the cuddy as there is no molded block in place to orient it otherwise. I'm not sure if this was a through cuddy mast conversion but I wanted to know what the proper angle (or rake) is for the mast on this vessel. Many thanks for any sage advise. I have attached two images, my boat and one I saw on web with molded block built into cuddy.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not sure of your size of ODay. Perhaps a manual can give you a specific rake. Or check out with some racers. They will know the best rake trim for your boat.
In general the mast should stand vertical when the boat is level floating in the water. Then if the boat has a back stay, rake is induced by tension on the back stay. Note that you want the mast to be vertical or 3-4 degrees rake to get the best upwind performance. Then you want the mast vertical to a couple of degrees forward of vertical to get best performance down wind.
If you are not racing or do nto have the rigging to change the mast angle, it would be best to position the mast vertical for all round best performance.

You can adjust the angle by shimming the base of the hinges tabernacle. I would suggest a small piece of "star board" cut to the correct angle would keep the base sound and give you the desired level platform.

I used that same tabernacle on my 15 ft Montgomery. Made mast raising an easy task.

Aug 30, 2016
O'day Daysailer Westford, MA
Jssailem, Thanks for the guidance. It is a 17' Daysailer. I think I'll heed your advice on the shim idea given my experience to date is nill I'm likely best of going for the most neutral "vertical" orientation. Regards

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
The DS tabernacle needs to be supported below the cuddy - the factory version has a mast section down to the stem, through the mast hole and doesn't put any pressure on the cuddy. jssailem's suggestions are a good starting point - vertical or slightly raked aft. use the stays to adjust forestay tension to keep the jib luff straight