Main sail 35mk2

Nov 4, 2012
C&C 35mk2 Victoria
I am considering replacing my main sail with one with a longer foot. Existing foot is 13.5 ft and am considering 14.5 ft. Luff the same at 41ft. Any thoughts?

Nov 4, 2012
C&C 35mk2 Victoria
My existing main is old and tattered. I have a chance to purchase a used one in good condition. A new sail is out of my price range at the moment. We do not race but cruise year round.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Are you planning on purchasing a new, longer boom as well? A sail with a 12" longer foot will not fit on your existing boom. Having the larger sail cut to fit may be false economy. I would suggest you talk with a sailmaker to see if that would make financial sense. Sail modifications which involve major reconstruction of high load areas such as the clew and reef points can be very expensive. Detailed areas like batten pockets are also time consuming and costly. The entire length of the leech may have to be cut to prevent interference with the backstay and each batten pocket may have to be adjusted accordingly. Add the cost of modifications to the price of the used sail and see if it is still a worthwhile investment. Putting the cost aspect aside, the overall design of the sail will be a compromise as the draft will be further aft than it should be. That will cause increased weather helm.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
What Ted said!

Really. Especially the idea of taking the sail to a sailmaker, and asking his advice.