Boat needs a heater...input welcome

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
We live on Vancouver Island. The boat is not a liveabord but will get used on good days in the winter and stays in the water all year long. It is a 1998 Hunter 410, two cabin, two head model.

I'm leaning towards a forced air system since they seem to be a little better at keeping things dry, (I already have moded two Eva Air's to continuously drain into the sinks), and they are faster to heat up the boat.

Wallas, Webasto, and Espar seem to be the main choices. Any good or horror stories with these brands, and if you had to do it again would you choose differently, or have any forced air users regretted their choice and wish they'd gone with hydronic? Last boat we installed a Dickensen diesel fireplace which we loved, but this boat has two much cabin area for this type of heater to be effective.

My main concerns are fast heating, keeping things dry, and low current & fuel draw for use on the anchor.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
After several years of use no regrets with our choice of forced air furnace. We cruise year around and prefer life at anchor. The Wallas does a good job at keeping the boat warm during those chilly winter cruises.

Some prefer the hydronic model for different reasons. It is a more complex thus costly system. We're happy with the forced air model.

http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=45&aid=6007&mn=42

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I replaced a 30 yr old Espar with a new one several yrs ago. Big differences and we like it. I was thinking Wallas but it has two air duct outlets and both must be used and not combined into one and i did not have the space without major redesign. For your configuration, it might work fine! Our Gulfstar 44 had hydronic which I installed. Also put in an everhot hot water htr that gave me unlimited hot water when htr was run. Hydronic is nice but it takes some engineering and a lot of time to install. I think any of those three will work as they seem to have gotten the bugs out over the yrs...

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Of the quality forced air heaters, webasto, wallas and espar, the wallas will be the quietest and draw the least amount of power, while supplying a steady constant heat... due to its design, its a bit more fuel efficient than the others, but this is more a function of the user adjusting the heat setting than it is anything else (The wallas control knob is a "set it and forget it" design)....and it is commonly reported to be the easiest to install if you have room for the unit...
The espar and webasto are good heaters and will offer more btu's much quicker after start up, and are dependable as well, but for long term usage its going to be hard to find an advantage over the wallas... they have a well designed product.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
After several years of use no regrets with our choice of forced air furnace. We cruise year around and prefer life at anchor. The Wallas does a good job at keeping the boat warm during those chilly winter cruises.

Some prefer the hydronic model for different reasons. It is a more complex thus costly system. We're happy with the forced air model.

http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=45&aid=6007&mn=42

Nice write up on the link Terry! The 42 Passage and 410 hull volume is about equal. I'm thinking this one should work well on our boat too.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I concur with the Wallas choice. I found an uninstalled unit on my boat when I bought it. Original purchase of heater was in 2002 unclear why previous owners did not install the unit. The distributor Scanmarine was great to work with. Serviced the unused unit. Up dated the programming sold me the pieces I needed to complete the install. A weekend job. Most challenging was where to install and then cut holes in the boat for exhaust hose and duct work. Once I decideded it went off with out a hitch. The heat takes 5 minutes to get going but after that it is forgotten. Added benefit is the fresh air vent circulation on those warm days when a little air movement is desired.
:plus:

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Our boat came with a Wallis that we aren't happy with. It was installed poorly and the rattle noises keep us up at night, so we turn it off. Ours may be sized too small because it takes a long time to heat the boat. One of these days I'm going to take the time to resolve these issues.

Ken

Dec 25, 2000
Our boat came with a Wallis that we aren't happy with. It was installed poorly and the rattle noises keep us up at night,
Hi Ken, not sure what's going on with your Wallas and that rattle noise. Do you know your model? Ours is a 40D and is probably the size that Lurker needs. Our boater buddy (Freedom 32) has a 30D and had experienced trouble with his original unit until he replaced it with a new 30D. It seems some of the earlier models had reliability issues, but those appear to have been corrected. The rattle noise could be a simple fix.

https://www.scanmarineusa.com/wp-content/uploads/40Dt-2014-Priced-s.pdf

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I think the rattle is a poorly routed duct. I just haven't taken the time to investigate yet. I'll look for a model next time I go onboard. We also shut off the fridge at night for the same reason.

Ken

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Interesting tidbit: I downloaded the manual for my heater (a Wallas 3000D) and it turns out that my heat control doesn't contain a thermostat. It controls the output temperature. I've always left it set at a low level (like you would for a thermostat) and it took a long time to warm the boat. If I'd turned it up, it would have had more heat and warmed faster.

I guess I should have read directions. Now I just need to chase down that rattle.

Ken

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great start Ken. Rattling could be the way the unit is attached either the frame to the boat , or the heater to the frame. I noted that there is a spring like washer user to tension the heater to the frame.

Oct 1, 2015
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
I'm old fashioned I guess for my cabin heat I have a 1 ton Chevy heater core connected to a 3 speed fan and just ran some ducting. I have 5 total and works just fine I think if I can remember I believe it cost me around a hundred bucks. Works great but I can see the reason for a different source as you have using during anchored. I only use mine while under way or I must run the engine. Now I get the reason for the furnace install does it run off the main fuel tank. I usually don't anchor wife likes to be close to land and able to get off when she wants to but I'm going to look into a furnace it sounds like it would be way more efficient than my set up I'm sure
Thanks for the helpful info about Furnace on a Sail Boat in the PNW would probably save me on fuel having one.
SVUsCa

Dec 25, 2000
Now I get the reason for the furnace install does it run off the main fuel tank.
Our diesel unit runs off the main tank. Other models, like the one on our first boat (H28), use a separate tank and burn kerosene (Wallas 1300 cabin heater). BTW, that little unit worked great on our first boat. No ducting required, just mount on a bulkhead in the main cabin, or wherever you want a forced air heat source.
https://www.scanmarineusa.com/docs/pdf/Wallas_furnace_1300.pdf

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
My boat has Truma E2400 propane forced air heating system and I absolutely love it, even after 6 years of ownership. It is quiet and when running only uses about 1.3A of current. On numerous occasions I sailed on various vessels that incorporated either diesel powered Webasto or Eberspächer forced air heating systems. The only complain I had was the constant "tic tic tic tic" from the diesel pump when the unit was on. If my next boat had one of those heating systems installed, I would have the diesel pump mounted in very well noise insulated compartment. One of Delphias we sailed on, had very neat heated drying rack (powered by the heating unit) in the head, it was great to quickly dry wet clothes or towels. I believe the rack was optional as it was using Webasto.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
You really can't go wrong with Webasto, Wallas or Espar. With the Webasto or Espar the installation of an intake silencer and exhaust muffler will make them nearly as quiet as a Wallas. Folks are often shocked at how quiet ours is but it uses both a muffler and an intake silencer..

With Webasto and Espar do be sure to purchase a "marine kit". The software is different as is the exhaust hose, duct lengths/diameters, fuel pump isolator, transom thru-hull etc. etc... In order to convert a "truck kit", to be safe and suitable for a marine installation, will almost always make it more costly than the marine kit. I have installed numerous "truck kits" for owners who thought they got a "deal". It has never been a deal once you get done doing the installation correctly with the correct marine parts. In most instances I could have sold the owners a true marine kit for only about 30% more than they paid for the "truck kit" only the truck kit usually costs double what you paid by the time you are done.

Please avoid any of the Espar/Webasto knock-offs especially from Russia or China. I had a company pushing me to try a knock off version of an Espar, to appease them I installed one on my own boat to test it out (price was right)... While it certainly looked identical to an Espar it was NOT AN ESPAR and was nowhere near the quality of an Espar. It has since been replaced by a genuine Espar and I refused to take the line on due to the substandard quality. Be aware that many of the eBay units being sold as Espar's are counterfeit units made in China... Always buy Espar or Webasto from a reputable factory certified Espar or Webasto dealer. I don't know of any Wallas knock offs but they may exist..

Oct 1, 2015
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
Our diesel unit runs off the main tank. Other models, like the one on our first boat (H28), use a separate tank and burn kerosene (Wallas 1300 cabin heater). BTW, that little unit worked great on our first boat. No ducting required, just mount on a bulkhead in the main cabin, or wherever you want a forced air heat source.
https://www.scanmarineusa.com/docs/pdf/Wallas_furnace_1300.pdf
Thank You Terry I am going to give this a look it may work well for me and my San Juan 30 after all I'm just mainly heating the main cabin.
Thanks for all you do for this Forum

Dec 25, 2000
I am going to give this a look it may work well for me and my San Juan 30 after all I'm just mainly heating the main cabin.
You are most welcome. This unit was mounted on the bulkhead in the main salon with the exhaust stack through the coach roof. The neat thing about it was a single toggle switch to turn it on. Just flip the switch and the unit takes over. The one gallon kerosene tank lasted forever and the power draw from the batteries almost nil.

If this is the route you choose, please let us know the outcome.