MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION EVER ASKED!

May 26, 2016
O'Day 26 Madison, WI
It must be essential for one task to be completed without issue...
Making COFFEE!

Please tell us your best brew method at anchor...

Thanks,
Scott

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Stainless steel coffee perker with a small clear perk indicator on top. My pot has a broad base that soaks up the heat from the stove and keeps it stable. Don't need electricity to heat the water in a microwave. If you're going to boil water on a stove top might as well just perk the coffee. Plus, I have 4 cups ready to go at once (that takes care of me, I'll share if I have to )

You can't beat the sound of perking coffee in the morning and the smell - "anticipation". I have a French Press for a backup just in case! Besides, I drink a pot of perked coffee every morning from my Perko electric perker at home. (I have two, one for a backup in case of a catastrophic failure that would spoil my day). Coffee is the drink of the gods (at least in the morning).

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Coleman stainless percolator works great. Be sure to keep a spare glass percolator top on board as they are susceptible to breaking.
Agree with smokey, you can't beat the aroma of perked coffee in the morning!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
We've tried most of the options. French press, percolation, Melitta drip filters (single cup), and even "cowboy coffee" once or twice. The issue always is how much, how quickly, and with how little mess. With drip filters you can make at least two cups at once if you have two filter holders (cones); and with that single boil of water you can also make different strengths in each cup by adding different amounts of coffee into the filters for the separate cups. It's much faster than percolation and way less messy than either the press or the percolator. That is, you simply dump the filter w/ used grounds into the trash--no need to clean the percolater basket or the press of grounds. Also, the coffee is fresh & delicious and always hot--does not sit in perc container to cool off or to become "stale" b/f you get to your second cup. Instead, just touch up the water to boiling and make yourself a fresh second cup--new filter, fresh grounds, etc.

That said-- the filters are best used when at quiet anchor--to the OP's question. But they are definitely hard to use while underway in lumpy seas b/c the filters/cones can bounce off the cup while you're pouring the water, and then you have a mess and likely no coffee. In that setting it'd be better to percolate on a gimbaled stove.;)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Melita #6 filter into a thermos. Lasts for a looong time.

Type in "coffee" in the search bar, 'cuz we might miss one or two techniques in answering this always humorous question. Be warned, however, some folks take their coffee VERY, VERY seriously. Oops, gotta go grab mine now...:)

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
My percolator is a stainless steel made sold by Martha Stewart many years ago...is still like new....I agree one of the sweetest
things about spending the night on the boat is perking some coffee first thing in the morning...how many minutes do you let your's perc before
pronouncing it ready for consumption? I ususally perc about 4 1/2-5 minutes at medium high on the origo....what kind of coffee do you buy? Next, it's important to leave the dock at sunrise for that fabulous morning sail. Pat

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Be warned, however, some folks take their coffee VERY, VERY seriously.
One of my favorite drugs, to be sure. Rip-the-dentin-off-your-teeth strong and black in the morning. Don't care how it's made.

In the afternoon, I enjoy it iced with sugar.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Simple solution when unprepared -
We used a 5 cup maker on shorepower. So at anchor or island mooring I can use the same maker. Only thing missing is hot water. So I boil water on the stove and pour it into the open top of the maker. Takes practice to get the right flavor. Ie not too fast, etc.
I like the into the thermos idea better, if you have a thermos and filter cone.
Can be done under way - gimbaled stove / put maker in sink for pouring. Although not great for under way - yet how many times do most brew coffee under way....

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Although not great for under way - yet how many times do most brew coffee under way....
I guess it depends on how often one sees sunrise while underway at sea or typically gets underway early. Maybe a couple of times a year for most folks who ever go anywhere far (e.g., > 100 n.mi.), not counting here trans-ocean crossings or passages. But, if you want it--you want it. Could be a long day ahead w/o morning coffee!! :yikes: The last time for me (making morning coffee while underway) that I clearly recall was Memorial Day Weekend, 2015--overnight Ventura to San Diego:redface:, but there have been others.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Melita #6 filter into a thermos. Lasts for a looong time.

Type in "coffee" in the search bar, 'cuz we might miss one or two techniques in answering this always humorous question. Be warned, however, some folks take their coffee VERY, VERY seriously. Oops, gotta go grab mine now...:)
Agreed. One of those large vacuum pump thermoses keeps water or coffee very hot for a long time. In fact, in a variation of what you are suggesting, on one of my overnight trips from San Pedro up to the Channel Islands what we did was fill the thermos with boiling water and then brewed the coffee on demand into the cup with the Melita filter. This also allowed the crew to use the same hot water to make tea or hot chocolate without having to fire up the stove and wait for the water to heat up each time. Even toward the end of the passage the water in that thing was remarkably hot--plenty hot enough for brewing coffee. (For a "pour over" I guess boiling water is best but this seemed to work just fine.) We stowed the pump thermos upright in the sink so it was ready to go and no danger of spilling.

The other wonderful thing about the Melita filter method, as has already been mentioned, is the complete lack of cleanup. Just hold it over a trash bag, turn it upside down, and drop the filter and grounds into the bag. Done!

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
We like the Bialetti type coffee maker. We prepare it at night, it is all self contained, and pop it on the stove when we get up. Makes a strong cup of coffee with no need to boil and pour water separately. You can get an equivalent SS unit at ikea for less than $15. Works well on the alcohol stove.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Stovetop perked tastes burnt to me.

#1:Aeropress. Good coffee. Easy to make a single cup. No cleanup at all. My most common way of making boat coffee.
#2: French press. Makes more than one cup. I hate cleaning it.
#3: Stove top expresso maker. (Bialetti) - by far the best coffee. Cleanup isn't too bad - you can dump the grounds and wipe it out pretty easy.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
We like the Bialetti type coffee maker. We prepare it at night, it is all self contained, and pop it on the stove when we get up. Makes a strong cup of coffee with no need to boil and pour water separately. You can get an equivalent SS unit at ikea for less than $15. Works well on the alcohol stove.
I have one of those types too; but you still must clean the metal screen/filter of grounds when finished and b/f reloading. Does make good coffee, although when I do use it it's for after dinner. Probably would work well when underway.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I'm with Jeepbluetj: Aeropress. I used to use a Lexan camping French press, because I got to the point where I was only doing French press at home. However, what's easy to clean under running water in the sink at home is not possible in the boat on the hook (with no pressure water.) A French press is simply a MESS of wet grounds to deal with. Pretty much dump the grounds overboard, then wonder how to clean up the screen and the carafe.

So then I heard about the Aeropress. If you do it "inverted," eg. insert the plunger end just enough and stand it up on the plunger, you can steep the coffee for a few minutes before pressing. And when you're done, you eject the "puck" of wet grounds into your garbage, and clean up the rubber plunger with 1 paper towel.

The only drawback to the Aeropress is that it does one cup of coffee at a time. Because the barrel of the Aeropress holds maybe 8 oz, and I like a mug at least twice that size, sometimes I set it up, pour in a full barrel, let it drip out, then pour in another barrel, and then press. But I think it takes too long to drain through, which is exactly the reason I stopped using the single serving pour in conical filter type. That's why I do it inverted, so it's good and strong, and then fill the mug the rest of the way with hot water.

I like it so much, it's now how I make my coffee every morning at home.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Yes to the press...Aeropress!

This topic comes up regularly around the net. I've never heard a complaint from aeropress users. For sailors, they are perfect because they need so little water to clean up. MUCH better than a french press.

Not sure about the one cup thing, we fill a thermos with 4 full cups plus with one shot. Coffee tastes excellent, not bitter at all.

We've been using ours for about 6 years and love it.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Melitta drip filter. Easy clean up! You can make up to 3 cups at ome time and throw away the filter with no grounds to clean up.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have tried lots of ways to make coffee on my boat.
Today, I have a Keurig available when we are on shore power, and use either a French press or (don't flame me for this) an instant "bag" of coffee if I am in a hurry. I keep a boiler on the stove to boil water.
I do have pressurized water on the boat, so cleaning up the French press is not a big deal.

Greg

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
On shorepower, an old (mid 90's) Black and Decker drip maker that makes into a thermos carafe.. Otherwise an old French drip pot; stove is gimbaled so no problem making that underway. Coffee is a great very dark roast locally roasted.