What MacGregor is this???

Sep 25, 2016
MacGregor 25 Sarasota
Hey guys,

Long story short, I just got this sailboat for free! I was told it was a macgregor 23, however when I recieved it, it's definitely not. It looks and measures like a macgregor 25, but the windows are different. Interior space and lines are similar and it's a swing keel with a pop top.

Anyone have an idea of what it may be?

Thanks!
Kevin

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Then I'd just call it a MacGregor (insert length here) that a previous owner modified. Looks like a decent trailer. Was that free, also?

By the way, welcome!

Sep 25, 2016
MacGregor 25 Sarasota
Yea, I was thinking the same! Trailer was free, has a 6 hp Nissan with 4 hours on it, sails are new. Basically, a lot of new stuff 2 years ago, since then it's been sitting on the hard so needs a good cleaning. My only concern us the keel as there appears to be a Crack of sorts with fiberglass exposed. So, I may take that somewhere to get relapsed if it's fixable.

Thanks fir the welcome!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

I question if it is a Macgregor? Windows and lines don't look like any I've seen but I sure could be wrong.

I'd look at Macs and Ventures on Sailing Texas....

http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboats99macgregors.html

.... and see if you could find one that matches. Also check other boats there,

Sumner
========================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
I agree with Sumner. HI SUMNER. Hull and keel look Mac-ish but top mold isn't Mac. Definitely not a '23. A company in the 70's did a knock off version which Roger quickly shut down. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2016
MacGregor 25 Sarasota
Thanks for all the reply guys. I was finally able to really get into it today and on the upper starboard side of the transom I can see where the hull ID is. Since it's been painted over/vinyld perhaps a few times all I can make out is MAC so it's definitely a macgregor. From what I can gather, it's a 25 that a previous owner made window mods on, which I like a lot. Interior is clean, bilge was dry and clean too. The interior looks like the interior of a Mac 25 so I think the mystery is solved. Gave it a power washing today, looks great. Next is some compounding and wax with my dewalt variable speed buffer. Looks like the keel may need some glass work, other than that she seems in great shape.

Attachments

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Even if the windows were changed there are other things that set it apart from other 25's I've seen on the Internet. The coamings on each side of the cockpit on the ones I've seen don't have a rise from the cabin to the stern that your boat has. The forward cabin top slope down to the fore-deck seems steeper on yours but that might just be camera angle. The shape of the moulding above the rub-rail in the cabin area appears different. Most all of the ones I've seen have the outboard bracket on the port side, but I guess it would be easy enough to move it to the starboard if there wasn't a boarding ladder there.

If the windows were changed their would probably be a lot of evidence of that happening as the glass work would of been major. There were also Mac/Venture 24's but it doesn't quite match them either. One way or the other you have a unique boat. Have fun with it,

Sumner
=========================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It's got FL registration numbers on it, go down to the tax collectors office and procure the info on the Title as it should list the manufacturer and the Hull#. Looks like a really good deal but remember there is no such thing as a free boat, you now have to feed the beast.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Before you spend any time and money on it, be sure you have ownership papers. They should already list the proper hull ID and enough info to identify the boat type. You don't want to get "pulled over" and not be able to show it is owned and registered to you.

Jun 25, 2016
Venture 21 Minter Bay
Do you have the old sails? They might give some clue if they are the originals. Is it common practice for sail lofts to include that same info on new sails? (I've never bought new ones.) Maybe the folks who sold the sails have a record of the specs used when ordered...if it is worth trying to dig that deep or you've gotten nowhere on the registration angle!

"Free" is a good way to start...that much more you have to spend on repairs (keel) and custom mods!

BTW, I have a V21 with a keel that was delaminating and stained with rust. If you can determine yours is not cast iron (mine's not - steel core with cast lead bulb encapsulated in resin), then you may find it may need to be taken down to the steel core and rebuilt.

Best of luck with your new hobby!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
I agree with previous posts. Not like any Venture/Mac I've seen. Unique. Can we get some interior pics? Time for some detective work. What year? What hull #? "The games afoot Watson.!"

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
I agree with previous posts. Not like any Venture/Mac I've seen. Unique. Can we get some interior pics? Time for some detective work. What year? What hull #? "The games afoot Watson.!"
What freedom 77 said. Show us your... errr... interior!!!

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
+1, not all Mac - may have been a mac hull and someone switched the topsides somehow? The little "dip" or dimple from the front to the back coaming at the aft of the cabin top looked odd to me.
Windows - we Macs have larger "window covers" over the smaller cutouts that are the actual windows. Perhaps this is what it looks like when you remove the dark plexi window covers and just put ports in the cutouts?

Either way, if it sails, more power to ya!! Fair winds and following seas!