Cheap Ebay SLA batteries

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
I would like to install a trolling motor on my Hunter 23.5 for the purpose of navigating in/out of dock. I'm considering powering with a pair of cheep ebay SLA batteries like the one pictured. This particular battery seems to be the most common on ebay. Does anyone have any specific experience with this battery or low end SLA batteries in general?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Why buy a not cheap battery from China from an unknown dealer on ebay when you can buy a comparable one at any auto parts store for less money and it was made in the US?

This looks like a pretty standard Group 27 battery. For $10 more you can go to West Marine and buy a US made group 27 and still pay too much.

Or you can go to NAPA and buy this Group 27 for $112 and it is made by East Penn, same people who make Deka Batteries. https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/NBE8301/NBE8301

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
This is not a deep cycle battery... it even says right on the battery "Avoid Total Discharging (Deep Cycle)"

It won't last very long if you run it down. Deep cycle batteries are constructed differently than normal automobile batteries and can handle a deep discharge and be recharged many times.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
These SLA UB12100 batteries come in different capacity sizes. While a 10Ah model might sell for $20 a 100Ah Deep Cycle one will cost around $200. Here is a review from an customer of an online vendor;

By Amazon Customer on April 27, 2016
I have purchased four of these in the past six months. Three of the four were DOA. One arrived with 9.7 volts and if you know anything about lead acid batteries, 9.7 volts means that irreversible damage of some sort has occurred. Another had 10.5 volts and another had 11.0 volts. Same story for all three of them, garbage from the moment I took them out of the box.

I went through a ton of effort charging and discharging them because the first seller told me that the manufacturer said that deep cycle batteries sometimes have to get a few cycles on them before they reach their peak performance. BS! Any battery that arrives with less than 12 volts charge has either sustained internal mechanical damage or has not been maintained with a proper charge while in storage. Either way, I went through the hoops for the manufacturer to satisfy their sadistic needs. While I was at it, I discharged the batteries with a measured one amp load so I could calculate the depth of discharge in relation to the rated capacity. As it turns out, the batteries were showing a total capacity of around 40 amp hours, about one third of what I paid for!

Another customer swears by them;
By Robert on February 19, 2015
Verified Purchase
Just what I ordered. Fast shipping especially @ 70+ lbs. Last one lasted 8 years in my Eurovan "cabin" running frig & accessories.

They might be good batteries in the 100Ah size, Deep Cycle units but apparently some of the online vendors might not keep a fresh inventory. I do not think a battery in the cheap $20 10Ah size which is not a deep cycle will provide adequate service. Why don't you go with a regular 100Ah deep discharge battery from Walmarts under $80 with a 6 month warranty.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
"cheap" and "eBay" are two words you don't want to see together. It will not be cheap in the long run.

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
@dlchoner I wanted to stay away from flooded lead acid. I like the idea of not having to worry about hydrogen gas or the possibility of acid coming in contact with salt water.

@rgranger I noticed the comment on battery but it's using "total discharge" in the same sentence which isn't the same as deep discharge so I chalked it up to engrish. I thought all AGM batteries were deep discharge...

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
They aren't that cheap once you pay to have them shipped, and if you get a dud, you will have to ship them back. Buy local.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
FYI, Trojan batteries are MUCH cheaper if you buy them from a battery distributor vs. and retail store with 'Marine' in the name or description. Trojan batteries are commonly carried by battery distributors nationwide to support Golf Cart use and many other industrial purposes. Its good to do some research and you should find a distributor within reasonable driving distance and you will see prices 40% lower than anything at a 'Marine' store.
Example, the 6V Deep Cycle Trojan T-105 is over $200 at any Marine place in San Diego. A 90 minute drive to the L.A. area for me and I can get them for $109 each.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I use 6v4.5a SLA batteries to fire my flash units in my home photo studio. There is a lot of stress on these batteries when I am shooting. They work fine. They were cheap and from eBay. Not saying that the one your want is good or bad, but if the cost is such that it will not break your bank, you have no reason not to try it. I would think a trolling motor would pull a consistent draw from the battery whereas in my use, current is drawn out, much higher than the 4.5a capacity, forcefully to recharge the flash units.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Beware of shipping costs. I noticed that the price of batteries during the last 10 years has increased in sync with the cost increases of Diesel fuel. Your local distributor and retailer can usually minimize those costs by trucking them in bulk but an online retailer offering free shipment on a single battery will need to add the higher cost to the price of the battery. It might be OK to purchase smaller batteries online for under $10 but when you are talking about a 70 lbs. battery for around $200 I don't think it could be treated the same and you would not likely find much savings. The hassle alone if the battery turns out bad is surely not worth taking the chance. For price and convenience purchase from a local retailer. A locally purchased battery can be replaced in hours if not minutes but purchase online from Jack Unknown and you could be in for an adventure and it will not be a sailing one.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I have also used the green 'Interstate' deep cycle batteries for various uses, we had them on our work boats when I worked as Lake Ranger for NY State Dept of Env Conservation. I have priced them out here in California; they have locations nationwide, reliable service reputation, and competitive price.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
@dlchoner I wanted to stay away from flooded lead acid. I like the idea of not having to worry about hydrogen gas or the possibility of acid coming in contact with salt water.

@rgranger I noticed the comment on battery but it's using "total discharge" in the same sentence which isn't the same as deep discharge so I chalked it up to engrish. I thought all AGM batteries were deep discharge...
While the battery is"sealed" it is still a lead acid battery and there is a valve on it to all any excessive pressure developed to escape.

Hydrogen is not an issue so long as the battery box is vented. Hydrogen is much lighter than air (about ⅛ of the weight) so it wants to get up and go. Sulphuric acid and seawater is also not an issue, the sea water will just dilute the acid.

It will be necessary to check the water level of a standard battery, but that's not all that difficult and distilled water is cheap.

Tom

Sep 25, 2008
Lancer 28 T Great Lakes
If you like it enough to defend it so much just buy the d@mn thing!
tom
S/V GAIA

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
8 years ago I bought 15 deep cycle batteries from Lowe's. They were on clearance. Normally $170.00 apiece. I paid $150.00 for the lot. Full disclosure I was an employee at the time. One of the perks is getting those kinds of deals. They have been in storage all this time. I'm going to use two of them for my boat. But for now just using one. These have never been charged yet are 8 years old and I have charged the first one. The voltage reading after one month is 12.9 volts. This is after messing around with the lighting set up. The reason I bought them was to use for an electric car I was going to build. That plan sort of fell through the cracks. But now I have a lifetime supply of batteries for my boat.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
These have never been charged yet are 8 years old and I have charged the first one. .................... But now I have a lifetime supply of batteries for my boat.
Fascinating. 8 yrs no charge and one battery actually "lived?" Have you considered checking the other ones?

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
Fascinating. 8 yrs no charge and one battery actually "lived?" Have you considered checking the other ones?
Not yet. They are in storage because I don't have enough room in my garage to hold them all. I brought three home and they are all holding their charge. They are most likely still good since they were never charged to begin with. My limited understanding of electricity tells me that once they've been charged they will begin to deteriorate. But until then the process doesn't degrade the cells. At least not very quickly. I could be wrong.