Hardware on deck of hunter 260 in raised fiberglass , are they in a metal plate that is threaded or

bdc1

Oct 27, 2014
Hunter 260 Rochester
Hardware on deck of hunter 260 in raised fiberglass , are they in a metal plate that is threaded or have nuts on bolts?

The core of what I am looking for is a way to manage my jib sheet from my wheel rather than going to go forward to rope clutch on the top of my cabin to let sheet out (clutch will allow jib sheet to be pulled in) I sail a lot by myself

I have some hardware on my deck that are areas of raised fiberglass where hardware is attached .

I have been looking for a place to attach a cam cleat with fair lead to run my jib sheet through.

my 2 options I see are
1. there are 2 horn cleats on the own raised fiberglass area that are 1/12 wide and 4 inches long that run parallel to the sides of the boat
2. there are 2 pull down rope cleats (open toped with ribbed sided that get smaller top to bottom and back to front.
1. My first question is that hardware held on with bolts and nuts on the inside OR are they screwed into treaded metal plates that are imbedded in that raise fiber glass
2. How has anyone else answered this issue.
3 has anyone gone with a bigger jib run outside of the rigging (current it is all inside the rigging) and put cars and some attached device on the gunwale
4. if it is nuts and bolts how do you get inside the head liner to fix change or replace that hardware

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2004
SunTracker 18 DLX PartyBarge Hoover Reservoir - Columbus OH
Yes, there are threaded plates embedded. You might want to investigate upgrading to Spinlock Cam Cleats, with adapter plates for mounting to the plates.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If you are using rope clutches... or any type of "captive" cleat ... for you jib sheets, I suggest you switch. I also suggest you spend a little time looking at a sailboat hardware catalogue so you can describe the various pieces of hardware precisely... There many kinds of cleats.... they all have advantatges/disadvantages and preferred uses. A rope clutch and a jib sheet or mainsheet do not go well together. Rope clutches and halyards are well suited together.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I am familiar with this boat too much from a dealer perspective now retired. There is an aluminum plate encapsulated in the fiberglass. I was never a fan of the horn cleats supplied. You can always add hardware but first drill a small hole to see if you get any metal shards coming out which will tell you that you can drill and tap there. As for hardware, I use to put on fixed or sometimes swivel base camcleats which worked well. Make sure that you that you get the riser wedges to put underneath to elevate the cam cleats upward; otherwise pulling you have to pull down to get the line thru the cams to lock and that will not happen without the cams being elevated upward. To release, a simple flick of the line will release them from anywhere in the cockpit with a little practice; thus Kermit's comments.

As for a larger jib, due to the swept back spreaders and the life lines to include set up of the elevated deck on the sides of the cabin, that is not practical. I have always recommended a furling jib for this boat which you can reduce sail. What many cannot understand that you have a more traditional mainsail and with the combined sail area of the 110 jib lapper and mainsail you have that of a traditional mainsail and a 135 or 140 genoa. It was Hunter's belief to put more sail into the mainsail. In lighter airs, I suggest a A symentrical spinnaker which you can raise or lift by yourself vs. the other style with all that hardware.

In essence when you do not see a bolt with nut inside the boat, most hardware are secured to the metal encapsulated plates in the deck. I would suggest those sealants that allow you to remove hardware easily on top of the deck as each has their own oppionion but never use 5200 in that application. Hopes this helps you.

bdc1

Oct 27, 2014
Hunter 260 Rochester
am thinking of leaving the horn cleats but next to the rope clutches ais a useless rope cleat where you pull the rope drawn in it and it is ribbed and constricts from larger at the back to smaller at the front
this cleat (like the sea dog vertical aluminum cleat at west marine http://www.westmarine.com/buy/clamcleat--clamcleats--P002_064_002_002?recordNum=12 )has 2 screws (since you re telling me its tapped plate and not nut and bolts system)

i am thinking since the screws are in line and the cam cleat (although not the specific one but similar http://www.westmarine.com/buy/harke...-fast-release-fairlead--15204290?recordNum=14 ) needs 2 screws perpendicular the way they are now

attaching the cam cleat to "starboard" then attaching that to where the screws are now.

a new idea i had was to attach cam cleat to starboard then attach starboard to stanchion brace

bdc1

Oct 27, 2014
Hunter 260 Rochester
"As for hardware, I use to put on fixed or sometimes swivel base camcleats which worked well."
were do you attach them?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
take a photo of what you have where you plan to attach and be specific what you want to do. I am a little confused.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Just wanted to add about those raised areas, embedded aluminum plates are not on all Hunters. I found out on my H30 that it was just a thicker piece of plywood when I installed my cabin top winches. I had my drill, tap and helicoils all ready too.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
This has been discussed before:
1) Your boat was designed for a non-overlapping headsail. Going bigger would be a disaster.
2) Getting your sheets off the cabintop (where they need to be) and low in that cockpit would be very difficult.

I get the solo sailing part. I would suggest rigging up a self-tacking jib. It might require you to cut your headsail slightly smaller, but would be very much worth it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Just responded to a similar question in the small boat section regarding a larger genoa greater than the supplied 110 jib lapper. Thank you Jackdaw for the advice to the poster. Your suggestion or an a symmetrical spinnaker is the way to go.
What many do not know, the cut of the mainsail on the 26/260 is larger than a normal designed main as Hunter felt the power should be in the main. So with the jib lapper (110%) and your oversized mainsail in laymans' terms you have a standard main and a 135-140 genoa area of sail. I raced these boats and due to the hull design and ballast, found that the heel should be 12-14 max controlling the boat thru sail control, experience, knowledge of sailing area, etc..

Jackdaw, thank you again for piping in sir. Hope you are doing well. Doing well with the stent but now a back issue. I just grin and bear it. Ugh, now to get rid of a pesky bear around the house. Ann says to leave it alone but when it is not scared of a riding lawn mower and leaving scat 6 feet away from the back door is going too far.

bdc1

Oct 27, 2014
Hunter 260 Rochester
ya you cant rely on the kindness of bears when you walk outside your back door and woops there it is. Can the authorities help? animal control DEC etc

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
they bring them to this area to release them in these parts from the cities which are over populating there too. Now we are over populated.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Aw man Dave is getting crapped on by a bear. There is something wrong with that! When does the season open down there Dave?
Funny thing, we have the first wild bear in southern Indiana for like 80 years roaming around about 40 miles east of us in a military area. They post weekly updates to his location.

Sam