new user with a question

Sep 1, 2014
Hunter 23.5 Belhaven, NC
First, as a new user here I would like to say hello and thanks for having me.

I bought a Hunter 23.5 about 3 years ago. Family issues kept me from using it until this summer. I've only been out twice (both times with very experienced sailors). I seem to be missing the main sheet - the sheet (rope) and the hardware (pulleys) that attach to the lower side of the boom and to the floor of the cockpit. It controls the main sail. I assume the whole deal is the main sheet but I don't know the name of the hardware. I was able to borrow one but need to get one of my own.

I've found them new at 2 different places but the pricing seems outrageous - $600 and up. Anyone have one they are willing to sell or can someone point me in the right direction to find one?

As for the boat - It's in very good shape but missing the aft berth cushions and the main sheet. I paid about 30% of it's market value, hard to pass it up at that price. I had to buy a battery and I need bow light. Also had to pretty much rebuild the trailer. Motor runs good but smokes a little, hopefully just a carb adjustment.

Thanks for any help!
Rob

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
From the manual available here

http://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_23.5_50853939.pdf

4:1 SWL 1750lbs
Main sheet is 40' 3/8 line
Snap shackle block - single with becket
Snap shackle block - fiddle with cam cleat

Scheafer vang 35-03 is what they list in the manual

Ebay has one listed for 380 or so.

Making one with Schaefer blocks looks like it would run in the area of $350 from this site. Using garhauer blocks looks like it would run in the 2-300 range.

Other block brands to look for would include ronstan, lewmar, harken.
All will be cheaper if you forgo the snap shackle.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Don't forget you will probably want to also use the main sheet and blocks for raising the mast, assuming you have the gin pole and bridle. So the snap shackles are nice for quickly rigging the mast raising system. Don't skimp on the hardware, as you don't want that failing with the mast halfway up.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
You should strongly consider getting a snap shackle. For mast raising, you may want to make sure the bitter end of the main sheet reaches from the anchor locker all the way back to one of the winches. BrianW

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
No, no, no.

Snap shackles are a disaster waiting to happen.

Use a regular shackle.

Snap shackles are dangerous.

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
Any opinions on the Harken Carbo 57mm Fiddle blocks. They use roller bearings instead of the plain bearings in the Scheafer in this price range. Less friction is good right? The max working load is less than the Scheafer at 793lb but according to the calculator on the Harken web site, the main sheet load on the H23.5 is aroung 650lb with 20 knots of wind. I would be reefing well bellow that number. I was sure that this was the block I wanted until I held one at Westmarine. They seem kind of small and light..

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
According to Practical Sailor, Garhauer complete Main Sheet tackle (the line (40' of 1/2") and the blocks (one fiddle and one with a becket and cam)) goes for $125 (for series 30, which is too much (in terms of working load), series 25 would easily do). I can hardly think of finding anything cheaper. And this is the high quality stuff.
@PropellerHead - good bearings are great. The older (or cheaper) blocks use just sheaves; the good ones use either balls or rollers. The difference is immense.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The original gear which included snap shackles on the blocks for quick release for the 23.5 worked fine as the mainsheet and mast raising. I always told my customers regardless new or used to always check all shackles whether quick release or captive to make sure secure. As with anything with age, more care to look is most important. Never had an issue except when allowing others not familiar with sailing but that was only once in all my years as a dealer. I did send a private message to the fellow but never heard back.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
Crazy Dave, thanks for clearing up the issue about Hunter's use of snap shackles as standard gear for main sheet tackle attachment and mast raising. BrianW

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I doubt a snap shackle would fail (open) if "moused" with rigging tape. If it might I don't think my rigger would apply it on my snap shackles.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Kings Gambit; No I never used rigging tape on snap shackles. When the inner spring gave out, I never played around and got a new block snap shackle. Olaf Harken suggested that for safety regardless of mfg.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Kings Gambit; No I never used rigging tape on snap shackles. When the inner spring gave out, I never played around and got a new block snap shackle. Olaf Harken suggested that for safety regardless of mfg.
I'm talking about a working shackle with the spring intact. The tape goes over a working item as an attempt to keep the plunger from being accidentally pulled back, not serving as a "rubber band" temporary repair. But now that you mention it, I'm not sure what folks are concerned about re: the failure of a perfectly good snap shackle on a mainsheet tackle. Where is the anticipated failure point on a relatively new (i.e., not corroded) snap shackle--the hinge breaks, the spring disintegrates, or the plunger breaks or falls out--etc.? Please inform.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
when the plunger does not stay in place for any reason, time to bite the bullet and get new block
Wow, I would never have thought of that. Thanks.:solame: I wonder if we're even talking about the same thing-- block = snap shackle?:doh:

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'm talking about a working shackle with the spring intact. The tape goes over a working item as an attempt to keep the plunger from being accidentally pulled back, not serving as a "rubber band" temporary repair. But now that you mention it, I'm not sure what folks are concerned about re: the failure of a perfectly good snap shackle on a mainsheet tackle. Where is the anticipated failure point on a relatively new (i.e., not corroded) snap shackle--the hinge breaks, the spring disintegrates, or the plunger breaks or falls out--etc.? Please inform.
On distance races or sails, we e-tape the bales of snap-shackles closed, mostly on halyards. All racers do. They can 'bang' open. And do more often then you might think.

Slowly replacing old-school snaps with world class Tylaska shackles. Yummy.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
On distance races or sails, we e-tape the bales of snap-shackles closed, mostly on halyards. All racers do. They can 'bang' open. And do more often then you might think.

Slowly replacing old-school snaps with world class Tylaska shackles. Yummy.
I like 'em too but the problem is that on the small ones the index finger doesn't quite make it to the trigger so one needs a fid as well. The larger ones, fine. I have two T-12s right now; at least I believe that is the size..

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Kings Gambit;
The original post was for the Hunter 23.5 which is why I am referring only to that gear which I know. I am not talking about other boats or gear, only referring to the Hunter water ballast. sir. That mainsheet block and tackle were used interchangeably for the mainsheet and the mast raise system with snap shackles to remove and attach quickly. If you are trailering and at the end of the day, exhausted and tired, you want to spend as little time getting the mast down, tied off and on your way home. The use of the snap shackles took less time which was my suggestion but I also told my customers every time to look and make sure they were secure. Was never an issue with my customers having taught them on their boats. With age and wear, I instructed them also to either send the block off or get a new one should the snap shackle looked to be failing.