Y33 Manual

Aug 27, 2009
Yamaha 33 Portland
Well, I've sold my 30 and am looking for a Yamaha 33. Does anyone have an owners manual to share?

Any survey tips or purchasing advice?

Thanks for the help
-Richard

Jan 20, 2017
Yamaha 33 Vancouver
Yes, I have two of them. One for the late 70's model tall rig, and one for the early 80's tall rig. I also have the original Yanmar 2GM manual, and an old review from an 80's British yachting magazine in which they give the 33' top marks.

A weak spot is the windows (the small curved hatch above the saloon is a bitch to replace), and if you have a look at your rear locker in the cockpit, pound to a penny you will find arborite covering severely degraded marine plywood. The veneer-covered bulkhead in the saloon, where the chain plates are conspicuously sited, is noted for dry rot around the bolts. There is a wooden rail in the watertank offering support to the port-side saloon bench, and this can rot/fail. The screws on the scupper plate need to be resealed periodically, and the whole scupper basin needs periodic cleaning and inspection (lots of crap builds up there). The companionway boards are not made of a particularly robust material, and the stiles and rails have a habit of separating as the glue perishes. If you still have the original navigation lights, they are plastic, and are all extremely brittle. All the original dorade vents will usually need replacing, as the originals will be pitted, and really ghastly to behold. The electrical box can be a pretty nasty place to find oneself, as it was never built to any North American code.