Toe Rail+Barberhauler vs. Inside Track?

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
My boat currently has only toe rail sheeting -- as originally delvered by Hunter in 1980. Several times (many actually) I have experimented with barberhauling to move the sheet angle more inboard to simulate inside track sheeting. The closehaul result of barberhauling wasn't a definitive improvement.

But today while sailing with normal toe railrail setup, I tried to visualize the sheeting angle to an inside track location. Rather than the toe rail + barberhauler tangent. It occurred that while the barberhauler assisited well moving the lower part of the jib inboard, an inside track would better gather the upper section towards the center line. Whereas the barberhauler has little effect.

Observations? Time to install an inside track? I sail with a 100% jib. Most often in strong winds with a 2nd reefed mainsail. Masthead rig.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
To better control the top of your jib (reduce twist) move your fair leads forward on the toerail. That should work with the barber hauler as well as without.

Tried barberhauling our shoal draft 27, and we can point very nicely, but we make so much leeway that the advantage is illusory! Our stubby keel just won't let us come close to the wind in course made good. Also, our 110 genny will hang up on our spreaders. Your 36 should do much better!

If you are racing, you should end up with tracks. But the long legs of cruising make the barber hauler a reasonable solution IMHO. A few minutes of set up for an hour or more close hauled. Sounds OK to me.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've been having this discussion with the skipper of a J109 I sail on. He loves to barber haul the jib in. And the boat does seem to point better. I think it's at the cost of speed and worse power when it's needed. Today we sailed in a race with a solid 20 knot breeze. In that condition I can't say the inhauler hurt our speed - partially due to a new and sweet, flat as a board, main. I don't know. The jib is dacron and a bit tired. Put it with a really flat main and maybe the inhauler works in 20 Kts. true. I spent some time today thinking about why my skipper didn't have an inside track. For one, I'd guess it's against class rules - but we are racing PHRF. Otherwise it's the expense and putting more holes in the deck. But, there's a horrible lead for the 110 on that boat that lies across the lower shroud turnbuckle and gets worse if you move the car aft. There was a lot of time today I wanted to move the car aft but really couldn't. This is a class boat on which, I would think, rigging problems would be either solved or worked around. The Class sail is the 110. I can't understand why the lead isn't fair. Anyone?

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Thanks David:

Yes, I do frequently move my toe rail snatch blocks fore or aft depending on the wind velocity and how much of the jib might be furled due to high winds. Just that it seems to me (by looking/imagining/mentally extrapolating) that barberhauling won't achieve the same result as a proper inside track. Really don't know though. Also, on San Francisco Bay, I might be on a tack for only 15-20 minutes at the most. Even during that run, the wind can (and most often does) shift suddenly in both direction and velocity -- which forces a change in course direction and sail trim. Dealing with both the jib sheet and a barberhauler in 20+ kt winds while sailing solo is possible, but not ideal.

And also as you informed, its also the hull that affects the pointing angle. My 36' boat only draws 4' 11". Not a shoal draft, but certainly is lacking compared to more performance geared boats. Yeah, in relation to the wind I may able to "point" a few degrees better, but it will be pushed downwind more than compared to say an Islander 36 --- and certainly not a J-109!

I did make the decision. Yesterday, I bought the supplies to install inside tracks. Hate to drill the holes in my 36 year old deck. But its a hobby -- and I like to tinker!

shemander:

Re the J-109. I did go on line to view photos and diagrams/schematics of the boat. From what I can see, they do have a dedicated T-track installed on the main deck just next to cabin housing. That is what I am trying to install on my boat. I am thinking that perhaps your skipper on a really close-hauled reach during the race might have wanted to haul the jib sheet even further inboard than afforded by the dedicated inside track? Alternatively to barberhauling, I have seen that some racing boats will also have T-tracks mounted on the cabin top deck. The crew can switch between main deck "inside sheeting" and cabin top "extreme inside sheeting". These are the boats that on San Francisco Bay almost seem to be sailing directly into the wind! Just a possible explanation? Here's a link to a J-109 picture I found.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I really should look at the official rigging plan - although I'm not sure if I'm going to sail on this boat much. (On the other hand the part I got to drive was a complete blast.) It's possible that the boat I sail on doesn't conform. I don't recall a second set of tracks or I would have suggested using them for a more fair lead. A jib sheet taking a 15 degree turn over a turnbuckle is a recipe for problems. Inhauling the clew only makes that lead worse and so does moving the car back. Thanks for the feedback.