The Saga of Buying a Boat and Being Legal in Belize

Sep 24, 2016
Catalina C-22 San Pedro
I have owned and sold a half dozen boats in the US and the entire change of ownership, registering, etc. has never been a problem.

First, let me say that everything to do with the government, banking, etc. in Belize takes a minimum of 3 trips...if you are lucky.

Ok, we agreed on the deal to purchase the 1979 C-22 and the owner proceeded to gather all of the paperwork. Done.....we drive to the very end of the island and walk into the Belize Port Authority Office. Officer Hector was very friendly and helpful. After going through all of the paperwork, he says that we need a bill of sale for the motor. The original outboard on the C-22 had been stolen and my seller had bought a Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9L from a guy here on the island who had it on a catamaran. My guy. Randy, has a bill of sale from the original owner. Hector says that the motor is not in their database and has never been registered in Belize....oops....
Belize, like many countries, is fighting the theft of outboard motors. They require that the motor be registered as well as the hull. Sounds good to me if it will deter the theft of my motor.
Anyway, long story short, I am waiting on the original owner to contact the company he bought the motor from to get the "Official Yamaha" paperwork, then I will be ready to go....unless Hector finds something else.
While all of this is going on, I am getting ready for my Belize Master Marine Captain's Test. Yes, that is correct...to operate any size boat except an inflatable in Belize you have to have a license. Never did that in the States. Written test and on the water driving test. You must have a friend bring you and your boat to the BPA for the test, because you are not licensed.
After living in Belize for 3 years we are accustomed to all of the delays....but this one is crazy. Oh and every December you have to get your boat re certified as Seaworthy and re-licensed.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Belize is a bad corrupt country, especially against boaters, and I will never go there. I still remember that incident back in 2005 where the government basically stole a guys boat from him.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Oh, these Caribbean Governments, they will "nickle and dime you to death". You could always register the boat without an engine, after all it is a sailboat. I wonder for how much are the titles for junked engines going for now in the open market? There should be a power boat rental guy near where the practical tests are given so that you can take the test without having to have a licensed person bring your boat.

Sep 24, 2016
Catalina C-22 San Pedro
Belize is a bad corrupt country, especially against boaters, and I will never go there. I still remember that incident back in 2005 where the government basically stole a guys boat from him.
Not sure what happened in 05. There are too many expat Americans down here who want it there way and want it now. Our approach of being friendly, respectful guests of their country has worked well and given us lots if friends and contacts. Many expats think they are above it all and the law doesn't apply to them. Those guys need to stay home and not screw with my paradise. Sorry for the rant.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Our approach of being friendly, respectful guests of their country has worked well and given us lots if friends and contacts. Many expats think they are above it all and the law doesn't apply to them. Those guys need to stay home and not screw with my paradise.
Bingo !
Try get around the laws or be demanding with a government official in the USA, and see how far it gets you.

More and more, I'm a fan of mandatory operator licencing/training. If you have a licence from another country is that accepted in Belize ?
Good to see they are trying to curb outboard theft. Having them registered is not much difference than having title/TOD documents for road vehicles.

The cynical would say it's simply a tax, but like most governments I assume it's a little of both.

Looks like you'll have to sit under the canopy with a rum for a bit longer while the paperwork happens.

What other options does Hector have ? Does the "movement of coloured bits of paper" work at all ?

Sep 24, 2016
Catalina C-22 San Pedro
The movement of colored paper is my next option. I have reached out to a Yamaha dealer in the US to see if Yamaha has a database of motors/owners that will work for the BPA.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
So what is the $300BZ for ? Simply pay a fee and they waive the test ?
Would a license from another country work if you had one ?

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Not sure what happened in 05. ...
A single handler was in a bind. He was heave-to outside the reef waiting for better weather because his radio was out and he felt he couldn't enter the reef under those conditions without a pilot. He ended up drifting onto the reef. While on the reef he got his radio fixed and called for help. The government came out, checked out the situation, said they would be back but never came back. Many offered to help pull him off the reef including the Mexican navy but Belize government said if anybody tried to help they would be arrested. After being stuck on the reef for over 5 days he gave up waiting and left the boat to go to town to try in person to get help. As soon as he got off the boat the Belize government came out and salvaged his boat. All that time they were just waiting for him to get off the boat.

Sep 24, 2016
Catalina C-22 San Pedro
A single handler was in a bind. He was heave-to outside the reef waiting for better weather because his radio was out and he felt he couldn't enter the reef under those conditions without a pilot. He ended up drifting onto the reef. While on the reef he got his radio fixed and called for help. The government came out, checked out the situation, said they would be back but never came back. Many offered to help pull him off the reef including the Mexican navy but Belize government said if anybody tried to help they would be arrested. After being stuck on the reef for over 5 days he gave up waiting and left the boat to go to town to try in person to get help. As soon as he got off the boat the Belize government came out and salvaged his boat. All that time they were just waiting for him to get off the boat.
Hadn't heard that one. We have been here 3 years and have seen captains who thought they knew where the cut was or who were plane old lost and ran into the reef....all get hung up on the reef. I have been told that penalties for not using a guide to come into harbor, for damages to the reef, etc results in big fines and confiscation of your boat. At least that's what I have been told.

Sep 24, 2016
Catalina C-22 San Pedro
Follow up. Last week I gained my Belize Master Captains License with no hiccups. This past Monday, we received our Seaworthy Certificate, (registration). It took 3 of us to finally chase down the providence on the motor. But we got er done.
Funny story, we wanted to change the name of the boat from The Flying. We chose the Ragin Cajun since we originally are from South Louisiana. You should have seen my face when I was told that someone, somewhere in Belize already has that name. Seriously. Anyway we are now sailing as Cajun Wind.
2 sails this week and learning the nuances of the C-22.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Well done and congratulations for sticking with it and figuring out a navigational plot through the bureaucratic thicket! Enjoy!