Trip video - San Juans and Gulf Islands

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
It would help to explain the various highlights of the video. Unable to identify where you were at any given moment. Very nice however.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Tartan 3700 Seattle - Elliot Bay
It would help to explain the various highlights of the video. Unable to identify where you were at any given moment. Very nice however.
Agreed...these are approx times...but pretty close! And thanks, I'm glad you like it!

0:00 - 0:25 Seattle -> Port Townsend
0:25 - 0:38 Port Townsend
0:38 - 0:44 Crossing the Strait (toward east side of Lopez)
0:45 - 0:53 Crew addition in Friday Harbor
0:54 - 1:05 Stuart Island - Reid Harbor
1:06 - 1:20 Nanaimo area
1:21 - 1:32 Transiting Dodd Narrows on the way to Thetis Island Marina
1:33 - 2:20 Arriving Thetis Island Marina (the dog caught our bow line...) and through the "cut" in the dinghy to Clam Bay, both beautiful places
2:21 - 3:03 Thetis Island to Cowichan Bay, best sail of the trip, absolutely amazing
3:17 - 3:43 Fulford Harbor public dock
3:44 - 4:00 Otter Bay, another favorite place
4:00 - 4:48 Otter Bay to Walker Hook (another favorite)
5:23 - 5:40 Spencer Spit
5:40 - 5:46 Thatcher Pass on the way to James Island
5:47 - 6:22 James Island (great day, terrible night)
6:23 - 6:45 Leaving Port Townsend to Edmonds and the sunset is the last night at Edmonds

Oct 1, 2015
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
Very nice a trip I have done many time and I just can't get enough. They Awesome Beauty we have is so nice to Sail in. And it looks like you had some very nice wind in your favor as well I have done it with sometimes not even able to Hoist the sail winds were to strong and couldn't wait to have myself in a nice cozy Marina thanks for sharing this Awesome Video

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Agreed...these are approx times...but pretty close! And thanks, I'm glad you like it!
Nice trip and great places you visited.

Tried east side of James once. Never again. Lumpy and uncomfortable. West side best if on dock. Used to be one mooring ball, but not sure now.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Lucky dog! No fair. That bay is bigger than our lake. Hey - what camera and s/w are you post processing with? I like the camera work and the rhythm of the shots - good for telling your story. I'm just learning this editing thing (oh yeah - and sailing), but I've been kinda making music videos with our jet ski stuff. I just pick a tune and cut in some video to try to tell a silent picture kinda story. But sailing seems like it demands narration. I guess because I don't know who or where you are (had to Google the titled location). So maybe open with a Google Earth zoom to lock in the setting, then pot down the music and tell us who you are, then show us where you were, where you were going, why, and then what happened. Better yet, tell it like the story is unfolding before us. You might get tired of that and start talking to the camera directly just to save time later - lol. I think cool. You're ready for Patreon. Good luck!

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Tartan 3700 Seattle - Elliot Bay
Hey - what camera and s/w are you post processing with? I like the camera work and the rhythm of the shots - good for telling your story.
Glad you liked it and those are some good suggestions...I just hate hearing my voice on camera!

This was shot on a GoPro Hero 4 and iPhone 6. I like the GoPro because of the wide angle and waterproof aspect, as well as that I can lash it on to the mast or railings or whatever, but the iPhone has image stabilization which would have saved some good clips from the GoPro that were too shaky. Post processing with CyberLink PowerDirector 13. I think it was $75 or something but it's been easy to work with (I was looking for something similar to iMovie and this is.)

Brian

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Ha - I "hear" ya on the narration, feel the same way, but it will be required (eventually). I think it helps to wear ear plugs, or better yet, channel your inner Jacques Cousteau. I've read from video guys that fixed-focus action cameras are a great way to go - you rarely lose a shot. I think the GoPro is ff?. iPhone and Galaxy 4 are gorgeous, once focused, and good macro mode for shooting details. I have Garmin Virb. Picture is stabilized, video and color quality is fantastic, 16mp resolution, and waterproof to 5'. I also have the dive case, which is good to 30', not much use in that mud hole we boat around in now. I shot early stuff with stab off and dive case on, ugh, not good - drops form on the case. It should never be used unless actually diving. I do love the small size of the (old) Virb for strapping on the ski handle poles, but Garmin has changed the form factor to one more like the GoPro. I want wireless on my next camera so I can mount it high on the mast and stream it to watch us crash docking. Kidding. We've only ever hit one other boat (sorry, no video - ha!).