Irwin citation 32

Aug 25, 2016
Irwn Citation 32 Galveston
Hey Guys, New to this site. I'm having a hard time finding any feedback on the citation 32. any info would be great. It's a 1987. sailboat data says it has 6ft draft but owner says it's 4.3 are there two draft sizes. Sailing qualities and thanksinfo would be great.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I delivered a 38 a few months ago, but can't help you with the 32. My principal (and almost only) reservation about the boat was that it had an offset companionway.

Aug 25, 2016
The 32 is not off set. not much talk about these.. Found favorable posts about handling . Found one post about a 34 with 4.3 keel so I guess this info is correct for the 32. Thanks for the reply.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Have you tried sailboatdata.com for info on measurements, etc.?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Sorry, missed that in the original post. Sailboatdata.com will often make it clear if a boat came in two different drafts, but I can't guarantee that it is complete. Don't know if there are any Irwin associations, but you might want to google search for that, and check Facebook for an Irwin group.

For just the question of draft, find an experienced, been-around-a-long-time broker and ask him if he knows whether the boat came in two drafts that year.

Or, ask the owner if you can be present the next time the hull is cleaned. Drop a sounding line over the side and ask the diver to read off the draft.

Aug 25, 2016
Well SF, As far as the Keel is concerned, there is a note at the bottom of the specs page on sailboat data that shows a shoal draft option. My bad. thanks for your help. Just wish I could find some owners comments.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Glad you found at least part of what you wanted. Now for the (possibly) bad news. Regardless of what the website says the shoal draft is, you need to check it yourself. My shoal draft H31 is supposed to draw 4 feet. While it was on the hard last year, I measured it at about 4' 9". Haven't confirmed that in the water due to visibility issues, but she sits on her lines, so I suspect it is close. Make sure you verify what you draw.

Aug 9, 2006
Seaward 25 Saint Clair Shores, MI
Flyflicker,
I have been spending some time researching the Irwin Citation 31 lately as a 1985 31 recently caught my attention and I stumbled on the 32 as well in the process. It appears the 32 started production in 1986 and went out of production soon afterwards when Irwin went kaput (1987?).

Info and sales info can be found here:
http://www.irwinyachts.com/

Anyway, the 31 came with a fin of 6', shoal draft of 4', and a shoaldraft/centerboard combo model of 4' board up/8.2' board down. I am not 100% sure (just about 90%) that the differences between the 32 and the 31 are:
- the 32 has a new fold down door with a walk-through transom where the 31 did not
- the 32 dropped the centerboard keel and kept the shaoldraft and the fin
- the 32 adopted the new 2GM20 (18HP) Yanmar (the 31 has the older 2GM (13HP)

Other than that as far as I can tell the two boats are identical, same interior layout and appointments, same rig and sail plan, and the sailing performance is similar. I really like the 31 but I am hesitant on the 2GM being enough to move the boat up rivers against the current. The 2GM seems a bit weak for this size boat as a cruiser...maybe a day sailor. The 2GM20 in the 32 is an improvement but the Catalina 30 from this same timeframe has a 27HP 3-cylinder.

I hope all this helps!

Aug 25, 2016
thanks a bunch that does help. I guess the fact that it was only made for a couple years is why I can't find very many boat owners. Again for your response

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Pretty sure Good Old Boat had a review of the Irwin 32. A friend had one for sale so I was looking for info on and found the review. Did a search and found they did an Irwin Citation 31 in Jan/Feb 2007 issue. Might that be close enough? You can order back issues.

Aug 25, 2016
Okay thanks Ward. Yeah they're tough I was trying to pull it up but they want me to pay $8 to download the whole magazine lol I appreciate the heads-up