First post, interested in a Macgregor 26 ( I think )

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
And analysis paralysis sets in.
[Insert .gif of Ben Stiller saying "do it"]

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
This crew may not be opinionated but they sure do a grand thread hijack.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
If you already have a power boat, you probably would be better off hanging onto it if you think your teenager wants to use it for tubing, etc. Personally, having raised kids with a ski boat, I doubt your teenager would have a lasting interest in tubing. My experience is that it appeals to very young kids for a very short duration. Teenagers tend to get bored with that type of activity pretty quickly. They may enjoy more skillful activities such as wake boarding or water skiing (at a higher level). If that is the case, a Mac power sailer will have absolutely no appeal to them because it can't come anywhere close to the performance they would be looking for, say, from something like this. http://www.malibuboats.com/
I can understand your thinking that versatility between sailing and motor-boating is appealing. But the reality is that the compromise between the two is rarely very satisfying to either a sailor, or a young adult whom may be interested in other water sports. If I were you, I would be looking for a sailboat that is really a sailboat (and I certainly don't disqualify the Mac models other than the X or M, and I'm not totally negative about water ballast, either, if you need to trailer the boat to the lake). Let the kids find other ways to go tubing, if they want to (but if they don't go tubing, they aren't missing anything, believe me). They will probably enjoy sailing far more if you have a sailboat that actually focuses on sailing.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Well said Scott.
Water ballast is great if you plan on trailering to different lakes and/or storing it at home.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
The power sailors are not my cup of tea but if that big engine on a sailboat is the set of tradeoffs you want to make, you will find lots of company as Macgregor did sell a lot of those. Ive never been on one, not likley to ever buy one, but there must be some reason for the large number they sold. And one thing you will find nicely illustrated here is that there are a handful of people who just dont like the large outboard or the looks of those. You might find lots of posts on this but start looking a little more carefully and its usually the same small set of people. Its just something you would have to put up with. The power sailor is a little different sport than a pure sailboat, most sailors will just not care that you picked a slightly different set of tradeoffs, some think that the tradeoffs they have picked are the only set that is correct. I really hate to send someone away from this forum as I generally like it but if that large outboard is important to you (and why not.. its your choice) you will get way different opinions about that boat on this forum http://macgregorsailors.com/forum/index.php?sid=56411ba7411e5a42c16704cf2a26b901. Funny that someone even suggested here that you cant trust the opinions of people who own them because they would be biased (that is a new one.. points for being creative) but if the big motor IS what you want, try that other forum. If the big motor is not what you want and just about everyone on this forum does not think its important, you do have a lot of other great choices that will sail better.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
The power sailors are not my cup of tea but if that big engine on a sailboat is the set of tradeoffs you want to make, you will find lots of company as Macgregor did sell a lot of those. Ive never been on one, not likley to ever buy one, but there must be some reason for the large number they sold. And one thing you will find nicely illustrated here is that there are a handful of people who just dont like the large outboard or the looks of those. You might find lots of posts on this but start looking a little more carefully and its usually the same small set of people. Its just something you would have to put up with. The power sailor is a little different sport than a pure sailboat, most sailors will just not care that you picked a slightly different set of tradeoffs, some think that the tradeoffs they have picked are the only set that is correct. I really hate to send someone away from this forum as I generally like it but if that large outboard is important to you (and why not.. its your choice) you will get way different opinions about that boat on this forum http://macgregorsailors.com/forum/index.php?sid=56411ba7411e5a42c16704cf2a26b901. Funny that someone even suggested here that you cant trust the opinions of people who own them because they would be biased (that is a new one.. points for being creative) but if the big motor IS what you want, try that other forum. If the big motor is not what you want and just about everyone on this forum does not think its important, you do have a lot of other great choices that will sail better.
I second the above. Definitely also check out the other board where you will find owners who have owned X and M's for years and who are very honest about their capabilities. A number have downsized from larger sailboats and are quite happy as the boat's fill their current needs. One couple with a X just finished the "loop" (over 6000 miles) and while doing so took the boat to the Bahamas for the third time. One other X and an M are also doing the "Loop" and are over 1/2 the way around. They are versatile boats.

I also see nothing wrong with learning to sail on one and then moving up to a larger boat in the future. My S, which I've added a traveler to is totally rigged the same way that my 37' Endeavour is rigged with all the same sails and sheets and control lines. If someone was going to end up with a cutter or ketch they don't need to start on a 25' cutter or ketch in order to get the feel of sailing.

Good luck and get the boat that fills your needs not someone else's and as Walt said the boats fill some people's needs very well or Macgregor wouldn't of sold thousands of them,

Sumner
====================================================

1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
.... (Sumner, it's going straight to the bottom with all that junk on it!) :). .....The Mac is not a platform for extended stays. ....
That might be true for some but all "that junk" made it possible to go 1300 miles in 3 months and only have to resupply with water, gas and food 3 times on the trip and never had to go to a pump-out.

Never had to run a generator or tie to shore power for electricity and had refrigeration, tiller pilot, lights, Sirius radio, computer and CPAP running the whole trip even when there were consecutive days of clouds.

Also sailed, not motor-sailed, over 400 miles of the trip. I love the boat,

Sumner
=======================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

JSumme

Jul 21, 2015
Marlow-Hunter e33 Alexandria
Wow, lots of strong opinions here. The Mac 26X (or now, the 26M) is a great boat for what it was designed for. The boat was designed as an inexpensive trailer sailor to motor to Catalina Island and use for lodging and day sailing, then motor back. I owned a new 26X from 2000 to 2014. (I now own a Hunter 33e with shoal keel and all the bells and whistles.) My Mac moved wherever I went in my Army career and was fairly easy to set up and break down. The dealer I bought mine from trailered his to Florida, sleeping in the boat on the way down, and took her to the Bahamas every year. He recorded the trips with pics as a selling point. I had mine on big water like the Chesapeake, Tampa Bay and the Gulf without any stability issues. And I've had mine on smaller water like the Potomac. It's not too big for large inland lakes and rivers. It is fully rigged for a full compliment of sails. In fact, other than the lack of a traveler, it is rigged much like my Hunter. It is fully outfitted with a functional living space, to include head and galley, and can sleep 6, although small and somewhat cramped. Our first overnight in the boat was in Annapolis Harbor in the spring of 2000 with my wife and I and three Junior High school girls. It was a fun and safe trip and we mostly cooked for ourselves. The return day was a cold, windy day with gusts to about 14-15 knots, an we never felt uncomfortable. Because of the planing (read flat) hull, the boat stays remarkably upright with water ballast full on a close haul. Downsides - to dump the water ballast you have to have an outboard large enough to plane the hull fully loaded. I bought a Honda 50 four stroke for mine. Worked every time. The boat is basically a camper on the water. If you are seeking comfort below or above decks, not so much. The head is a portable John. I didn't know that my wife and daughters wouldn't use a portable John before I bought the boat. The galley needs a portable stove to work, sometimes a problem when underway. After our first trip, I DON'T recommend firing up the stove while underway.
Sailing- you are definitely compromising both ways. It is certainly not a performance sailer, nor is it a very good power boat. However, with the 50 horses and the mast off, it can pull skiers. And with the ballast drained, mast up and sails down, it can move very quickly across the water. You can also drive it with the ballast full like a deep water power cruiser. It's versatile! I got in the habit of using the motor for long trips if I needed to get there quickly, or like a diesel, just to get out to a point where I could raise the sails. It is certainly stable enough for a big guy like me to stand on the foredeck and raise the main. I also had a jib furler on the forestay. However, reaching the ballast drain handle and raising the twin rudders can be a back breaking chore! The good news is you can get all this for around $25k new, whereas my Hunter capped out at about $185k. The Mac gets you on the water with a sail/power boat fairly cheaply. It also teaches how to provision, launch and sail a cruising sailboat. I wouldn't buy one to learn how to sail, I would recommend day sailors for that, but, with limited funds, I would recommend a Mac for day and weekend cruising in temperate weather. (It's not fun down below in 99 degree heat!) By the way, with the sails available for the boat, it will get you most anywhere coastal and inland cruising can take you. You can also beach the boat with the swing keel and rudders up! Hope this helps.

Apr 21, 2012
Macgregor 26X Kansas City
I was in your same position several years ago when we bought our first sailboat, a 97' Macgregor X. I had owned several power boats, still have my Jetski, but knew virtually nothing about sailing. We wanted something we could take on comfortable extended outings but was still light enough to drag around to all our local lakes. This eliminated most cabin cruisers and also most sailboats. Then we found Macgregors. I had also read a lot of the negative nonsense written about the Macs which made me do some extensive research into these boats. It turns out that Roger Macgregor has produced nearly 50,000 boats, including around 5,000 X models, during his career. That's more than all the other sailboat manufacturers currently operating combined. So I had to ask myself, if these are such terrible boats, how did they sell so many for so long and remain in business? This also explains why you find so many for sale. The vast majority of these boats are still in use and are well loved. They are easy to sail, even by someone new to sailing. They hold their resale value better than any boat on the market. And if you can find a new, or unmodified one, they are a clean slate allowing you to outfit it as you see fit. Are they for everyone? Of course not. I'd love it if you could show me something that was. Are they blue water boats? No, at least not for me. There is one person who documented his travels across every major body of water in the world including all the major rivers. He was last seen in Sri Lanka. Will they take you places no other sailboat could even dream of going? You betcha! Do I have any regrets on my Mac? Yeah, I don't seem to have as much time as I'd like to be out there sailing! Check out our site for the good, bad, and ugly experiences we've had since purchasing Chameleon for more info: http://svchameleon.weebly.com/

Aug 23, 2016
N/A N/A Texas
Wow, some great responses and grateful for every one of them so thank you all. Given my desires I am thinking that this is the boat for me and my family at least for now. When we are empty nester's that will be a different story. I have a 40' 5th wheel I pull with my dually and to have something to pull with our Tahoe to play with at the lake while camping is appealing to me especially since it has a large enough engine to move along at speed should you desire it and when the kids are doing something else and the wind is blowing, I can practice sailing. On days when kids aren't around it's easy to set up and move from lake to lake and beyond. I think I like that concept. It's not a performance sail boat nor a performance power boat.....it's a compromise for sure. I think I / we can live with that for a while....

I happened to see my first Macgregor up close today and it was pretty much what I had expected. I simple boat but not of high quality or finish.....but very functional in it's simplicity. It was a 2004 M model which now leads to another question if I may.....The difference between the M and X is only the bottom of the boat right? The X has more of a V in the hull shape and design....other changes are minor in nature if I understand correctly?

My quest continues.....

Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
26X makes a good adventure boat. Its a roomy camper on the water. Trailer the big distance and put it in water in interesting places. The big engine will eat gas over 6 knots and you will have to add a lot of fuel capacity if you want to run fast. 12 gallons not enough. That big motor gives mucho confidence when the conditions go bad or you just want to get to a destination in a hurry.
26x is HARD TO SAIL, but it is a power sailer so turn on the iron genny to make a tack work or pick up a little speed. It does go 3 knots at idle or slightly fasteR with my 50hp nissan. A 26x will be very hard and frustrating to sail with an untuned rig and/or used soft sails. do plan on tuning the rig. Do plan on installing a johnson lever to the forestay. Do plan on getting new sails. A good crisp main is a must or you will heel violently with no speed and no pointing. do plan on spending money to get the 26x the way it is suppost to be. They did not come from the dealer correct, just safe.

If you want an easier route, get a boat like Sumners. Much easier to sail. Faster under sail and points better. It will sail ok with old sails and untuned rig.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I considered a 26m back when I was still into my ski boat. I thought it would be the best of both worlds. I decided instead to get a c22 and keep my Malibu ski boat. After spending many of my weekends on the lake burning 30 gallons of gas a shot constantly towing 3 or 4 teenagers that all want to tube/ski/wakeboard/kneeboard, I said enough of this BS and sold the ski boat. If was fun at first but got to start wearing on my nerves and wallet. I am glad I didn't buy a 26m. I couldn't stand the looks of them anyway. They look like a 80's Bayliner Ciera with a long pole stuck in it.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2013
I have a Hunter 260. Not the same boat but I'm pretty sure the marina owner is talking at least a little about the ballast being water as opposed to solid. My experience is that those who don't like water ballast are those who have never had one.
I agree and I believe a boat like kermit's points much better.

Jan 31, 2013
I think part of the issues is, as Kermit said, many people don't trust water ballast when the fact of the matter is it works great and large ships have been using it for decades. Other people are simply prejudiced against them for no apparent reason other than someone else they know is.

The other part is that the Mac 26 X and M are hybrids and, as such, has compromises. Although they don't sail quite as well as a classic sailboat they do sail fairly well. Also though they don't motor as well as a classic motorboat they do motor fairly well. Most people who have them love them.

Although we have a few people on this site with Mac Powersailors (26M and X) you'll find more here: http://www.macgregorsailors.com/index.php . I'd recommend asking your questions there.

I agree the 26X and M are hybrids, power sailers made to trailer very easily and there are no other boats to compare them to in their price range. They are not pure sailboats. I love my 26x but it took time and money to get it right enough to sail fairly well. Sure can scoot if you have the fuel capacity to sustain it.

Jan 31, 2013
The Mac 26 is a motor sailor, i.e. it will not perform under sail as well as "sailboat" sailboat. For an experienced sailor who likes his sailboat to sail well that would be less than ideal. There are many other boats out there that will perform better than the MAC 26 under sail and probably for less money. Some people love them for their versatility. They're trailerable, fast under power, comfy. They're the V.W, Bus of sailboats. A nice Catalina 22 or a Hunter 23 will sail better though.

True

Jan 31, 2013
Justin,
As I mentioned to Scott, the thought of pulling a young teen on a tube or ski's would be good for my family right now. I live very near several man made lakes. I have never operated, rented or owned a sail boat. My power boating days and skiing are behind me. I am looking for (myself) a slower pace of being on the water and I guess a transition type of boat into sailing. If I didn't have the last kid in the house I most likely would be looking for something else. If you know of another motor sailer that can move along at 20 miles an hour please advise because in my search so far I have not found one but I haven't turned over every stone yet either. Thank you for your post!
It's not going to go 20 without larger hp. 15 yes with a 50 and the right prop.