What happened here?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I put this fuse holder in at the beginning of the season. It was placed to replace one that suffered the same fate (But took longer). I ascribed the failure of the original to the PO using an automotive not marine part. I got this at a local chandlery and assumed it would do better. When I lost power to the dashboard I pulled the battery out and went for the fuse holder. It fell apart in my hands. The one wire just crumbled off the end. The inside was as you see it. My crimps seemed ok and I had to cut it off. I don't understand why it went bad so fast.
IMG_0862.jpg
IMG_0863.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Is the fuse near the battery? That looks like what happens in my lab when acid vapors come in contact with metal. If so, you may need a vent in your battery compartment, or maybe your charger is running too hot.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Does it often get doused with salt water, or maybe it only took once? Any o rings or gaskets to keep the water out?

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
I coat that stuff in "Ship to Shore" dielectric grease and never seem to have any issues.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Does it often get doused with salt water, or maybe it only took once? Any o rings or gaskets to keep the water out?
No O Rings. I didn't think it was a "Wet" location but the chandlery says it got wet with salt water. So I bought a new (More expensive) fuse holder of the "Automotive" style - flat fuses, for which the holder has a better closure. I'm hoping it will do better. The wet issue won't go away. I will put some dielectric in there.
I'm not totally satisfied with the salt water answer since there is another in line fused holder there right next to it that is at least three years old. It looks like new.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
No O Rings. I didn't think it was a "Wet" location but the chandlery says it got wet with salt water. So I bought a new (More expensive) fuse holder of the "Automotive" style - flat fuses, for which the holder has a better closure. I'm hoping it will do better. The wet issue won't go away. I will put some dielectric in there.
I'm not totally satisfied with the salt water answer since there is another in line fused holder there right next to it that is at least three years old. It looks like new.
Any chance salt water is leaking on to the wire that fuse is protecting and following the wire down to the fuse holder? It seems to appear like salt water corrosion. Dan

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Any chance salt water is leaking on to the wire that fuse is protecting and following the wire down to the fuse holder? It seems to appear like salt water corrosion. Dan
Yes, I think salt water has gotten in there. I'm not going to belabor this but another fuse holder only inches away has lasted years. This one lasted 4 months. I guess I'm suggesting there is a lessening of the quality of these items. We'll all see as time goes on.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I think what Dan_Y is suggesting is that the water might be hitting the wire inches or feet away from the fuse itself, then running down the wire onto the fuse holder. That would explain why this fuse is so bad while one right next to it (not connected to the affected wire) is fine, without it being a difference in the quality of the fuses themselves.

Dec 13, 2010
Hake 32RK Red Bank
time to get out the hose and spray the boat then check and see if you are getting water traveling down the wire

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Just to show that water can do this: I had a new VW Sirocco ages ago. It got recalled because they would start up and drive away by themselves. Evidently, water would follow the antenna lead thru the fender well and drip on the start relay in the fuse box. If you had a stick, which most of them were, when the relay shorted it would start the car and drive off. The fix was to reseal the thru-hole for the antenna. True story!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Man, you just explained one of the strangest nights of my life.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I think what Dan_Y is suggesting is that the water might be hitting the wire inches or feet away from the fuse itself, then running down the wire onto the fuse holder. That would explain why this fuse is so bad while one right next to it (not connected to the affected wire) is fine, without it being a difference in the quality of the fuses themselves.
Wiring that has any possibility of getting wet should have a drip loop before any connection. This will allow any water to drip off the wire and into the bilge or some other place. Wires should also have service loop, a small coil of extra wire that is available when the wire needs to be shortened or reconnected.

http://www.maintenancetechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/images/stories/2013/0913fund4.jpg