Interesting cloud formation

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I just wanted to share some weather photos I shot last week. They were taken over a 29 minute period as a cold front moved in while we were coming back into the harbor.

Being sailors, I'm sure everyone here has a few interesting weather photos to share. Let's see them.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Cool! I think that's what we call a shelf cloud in these parts. Around here it usually brings much rain and hail!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
How close is Waveland to Pascagoula?
Waveland is on the coast, 45 miles east of New Orleans, Pascagoula 60 miles. I, at first, thought it was at the NASA test sight, more like Kermit's thought. It was sunsetting and more towards Slidell, La
At least thought a provoking picture.
Jim...

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I saw a head-down skydiver. Gin and tonic.

Some kind of down draft through mammatus clouds?

Oct 6, 2007
Cool! I think that's what we call a shelf cloud in these parts. Around here it usually brings much rain and hail!
Same here. This one was relatively tame though. It came in with about a 25 or 30 knot north wind and a 10 or 15 degree temperature drop, but just a few drops of rain until about six hours later when we got a very localized deluge at the harbor, but nothing four blocks away.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="Kermit, ...Simple...[/QUOTE]

Oh Kermie... the last time we talked, you had a job. Don't you have it anymore?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Some kind of down draft through mammatus clouds?
If you look close, there is trail below the "hole" or some uprising of vapor, heavy enough to make a cloud and a hole in the upper clouds.

Thor descending from Asgaard!
So maybe Thor rising for attacks?

The street is coastal Hwy 90 looking West.
Jim...

Trivia: The Mississippi NASA test sight was built for the Saturn Booster Rocket tests for Apollo flights and the Shuttle engine testing. Saturn tests were announced so people would prepare to prevent windows breaking 30 miles away. The Site is about 30° starboard of that picture at 35 miles. I witnessed the Challenger (the one that exploded on launch) engine test on top of the Control bunker. Clamping my teeth as hard as I could they still vibrated apart. Amazing power!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Kermit, are all frogs like you or are you unique?
Dalliance, I see the monkey, too, and it's not yet 5 o'clock where I'm at.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="...Kermit, are all frogs like you or are you unique? QUOTE]

Scott, they are all the same. The difference depends on what spice you put on them :rolleyes:

Oct 6, 2007
Kermit, are all frogs like you or are you unique?
Dalliance, I see the monkey, too, and it's not yet 5 o'clock where I'm at.
Oh good, I'm glad it's not just me. The monkey is still there by the way.

Poor Kermit. It might not be easy being green, but it's much worse being dinner.