PNW Cruisers

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Lots of views, but almost no replies. Looking for some minimal participation and/or contribution. Anybody? Anybody?

Oct 1, 2015
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
I'm Here I would love to Join in on all the Fun I'm Retired and Love to go Sailing

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Leslie, awhile back it seemed for quite some time there was no or very little participation on this particular forum. So, I decided to try and stir up some interest, hence the topic comment. Now, as you can see, it has become quite busy with an assortment of PNW cruising experiences; the objective.

You are most welcome to share your cruising experiences, lessons learned, et al. I have tried to do the same for the passion of sailing.

Thank you for your interest.

http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?forums/pacific-north-west-cruisers.132/

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We're nestled into our beds while the wind howls in Port Townsend.
Departed Everett at 8AM. Cleared the Marina and headed south south west towards the Mukilteo ferry crossing. The winds were dead on the bow. Because of the 8 plus mile fetch the 15 knt wind had raised some 3-4 foot waves. We angled our course to cross from the ferry to possession point giving us an easier ride. Once we rounded the point and headed north west up the sound we shut down the iron Jenny and enjoyed a beam reach up the sound. The further we sailed the calmer the water got. Being that the wind was now mostly off the south shore there was no fetch to stir up waves and our ride seetled. We cruised at between 5.5 and 6 knots helped by a considerate tidal current. Timing in the sound is everything.

We made our way to the entrance of the Port Townsend Canal as the tidal current was slack. We powered through the narrow waterway as the winds were inconsistent. Once out in the bay we filled the sails with a following breeze and headed for Port Hudson Marina. Space was available in this downtown Marina. Everything is walking distance. Nice wide slips with power. 1.25 per foot plus $5 for 30amp electric. Ate a tasty meal at the Alchemy bistro and wine bar. http://alchemybistroandwinebar.com/
Desert at the "Elevated Ice Cream Parlor on the Main Street. It was a popular place. Great flavors in the homemade ice cream.
Planning an early breakfast and then set sail for Deception Pass. More to come.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
We just came back from a few days in the Gulf Islands (technically Southwest Coast, not "Pacific Northwest", but...).

We hadn't been to the G.I. for years before that and had forgotten about "Island Time" (a method of measuring time and a state of mind). Hanging on a hook in Clam Bay, taking the dinghy through "the cut" to Telegraph Hbr, listening to the ravens, just relaxing and enjoying the environment.
We had a FAST sail in 15 knot NW from Pender Hbr to Silva Bay, where we had a problem with the (brand new!) transmission that Silva Bay Shipyards took care of (on Beta's coin, of course!). Then through Gabriola Pass, and once through, we just drifted down the channel, jib-only, at maybe 2 knots. Aaaahhhhh....
Back up, we motored hard to get through Gabriola Passage (with 5 knots following, but the Pass is easy to transit even when there's current running through it), past Silva Bay, and punched into 10-20 knot NW. The Ontario 32 isn't exactly a racing boat, especially upwind, so we just made White Islets when the wind died (and was coming directly from our destination!) so we broke out the Iron Spinnaker.
We wanted to stop at Secret Cove, but there were no slips available and Smuggler's Cove was PACKED so we motored on (at 2800 rpm ;) ) back to Pender. Herr Garmin says we covered 48 miles that day.
Now I'm waiting for a new mainsail, but I think next trip will be back to the Gulf Islands, maybe for a week this time...

druid

Dec 25, 2000
We're nestled into our beds while the wind howls in Port Townsend.
Hey John, nice write up. Looking forward to chapter two. Been years since visiting Port Townsend. Must do so soon.

Dec 25, 2000
We just came back from a few days in the Gulf Islands (technically Southwest Coast, not "Pacific Northwest", but...).
Thanks Druid. Future reference when visiting Secret Cove. If you head straight into the center finger cove Buccaneer Marina towards the bottom may have had space. Also, I anchored on the south side of the Cove just inside of the entrance for ten days last year while waiting for our buddy boater. Very nice and well protected spot.

Also, Degnan Bay on Gabriola Island a good anchorage while spending time speculating on who and when the petroglyphs were made, or what they resemble. Most say that the First Nation people tended to copy wild life when making them. A very nice large Orca cut into the sand stone, but can only see it at low water.

The ones up the hill from the marina even more of a mystery. Some estimate them at several thousand years.

Dec 25, 2000
Ouch. Appears everyone made it ashore safely thanks to fellow boaters and the CG..

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
Yeah I saw that. I'm not sure exactly where in Pender Hbr that is: all of the rocks are clearly marked on any chart and most have markers on them. You have to be a real idiot to hit a rock there...

druid

Dec 25, 2000
Looking for anchorage suggestions in False Creek, Vancouver BC. Purpose is to visit Capilano Suspension Bridge about five miles away.

tgrady

Nov 22, 2013
Hunter 33.5 North Vancouver
Mosquito Creek, North Van. Not cheap but very convenient. Catch the bus up to the bridge. Sea Bus to Vancouver

Oct 22, 2014
After the Sunday evening winds in Port Townsend, we woke Monday to blue sky and sunshine. Temps overnight were in the lower 60's making our sleep very comfortable. Almost didn't want to get up, the V-berth felt so good. But as they say tides and currents wait for no-man.
Our goal was to find a good cup of coffee, a bite to eat, pay our bill with the Marina office (it closed early the day of our arrival), and get underway in time for slack at Deception Pass. In that order.
A Google search located "Pane D'Amore" on the hill in Port Townsend, about a 15 minute walk from the Point Hudson Marina. A good distance to burn the calories of half a Honey Glazed raisin filled Cinnamon Roll. Delicious. We arrived just ahead of a couple wanting 6 of the rolls. We did not wait to see if their order was filled from hidden stock in the back. The bread smell in the bakery is so good, could feel the calories piling on just breathing. Breakfast in the sun on a park bench across from the bakery gave us a great view of the goings on in Old Town on the hill. A nice start to our day.

Our walk back took us by the last standing wooden built Fire Bell Tower in the country.
IMG_4487.jpg

www.jchsmuseum.org/Resources/Resources-HistoricPreservationBellTower.html
The south side of the tower provides a sweeping view of Port Townsend bay and the Washington State ferry terminal.
IMG_4492.jpg

Our walk back to the marina gave us a glimpse into Port Townsend history as we descended the Terrace Steps that separated the homes of Sea Captains and their "Proper Ladies" from the more bawdy side of this Victorian styled seaport. The Haller Statue greats you at the bottom of the steps.
FullSizeRender6.jpg

We paid our moorage fee of $55 to the Assistant Harbor Master, then back to the boat and cast off our lines in our quest to reach the North end of Whidbey Island and Deception Pass in time for slack tide.

We knew the tide was on the Ebb until about 13:00, so our route took us near the western coast of Whidbey Island to ride a 1 knot current that flows north along the island as the Ebb tide flows south in the center channel from the San Juan Islands.

Along our way we met seals, porpoise and a variety of bird life feeding in the morning sun. Coast Guard channel carried a lot of radio chatter regarding a blue kayak discovered just south of Lopez Island, without it's owner, .
There was the occasional working boat heading by in a hurry.
IMG_4511.JPG
They put up such a wake and have so much power that hull speed has a different meaning.

We used the mountain peak on Fidalgo Island as our dead reckoning guide to seek the entrance to this Deception passage.
IMG_1010.JPG

I can only imagine the surprise of Vancouver and his crew as they came upon this place.
IMG_1015.JPG IMG_1017.JPG
Water spilling at such a rate that not even the swiftest crew in a long boat could traverse. Yet, when the tide changes they must be quick with their boat handling or find themselves smashed on the rocks.
IMG_1040.JPG

We were greeted with a parade of boats coming and going through Deception Pass. Captains calling on Channel 16 their intent to passage through these tight quarters.

IMG_1044.JPG

Once through we waved good bye, for now, to a bit of excitement and NW history. We cruised along the eastern shore of Whidbey Island. We avoided the shallow waters of Skagit Bay, where a skipper and crew look out onto a mile or more of water yet shudder when reading their charts stateing it is 3 feet or less deep. Very similar to the mud flats that haunt boaters dreams in the southern reaches of Chesapeake Bay.

Our cruise would not be complete without a stop for dinner in the "Village by the Sea" Langley, WA. My first visit to Langley was on April 2015, when I learned about the “Welcome the Whales Parade and Festival” honoring and celebrating the arrival of Gray whales to Whidbey Island. I learned from one of the locals that several years ago they held this blessing of the whales. A tribal holy man went down to the water to wish the whales well and to the surprise of the residents standing on the cliff several grey whales surfaced, as if to say thank you.
Our hunger satisfied by the talents of the staff at Prima Bistro, the sun setting, we boarded our sturdy boat for the 80 minute crossing to our home port of Everett, WA.
IMG_1053.JPG
This first voyage after an extensive refit was a wonderful success. I am looking forward to many more.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I know(from experience) the feeling that follows a cruise after a lot of hard refit work. Congratulations on a successful refit and cruise!

Dec 25, 2000
Wonderful writeup, John. Great pics and what a cruise experience.

Oct 22, 2014
Thank you guys. Now for the big test. My wife is joining me this weekend. Last weekend was a warm up. Lyn (my bride of 43 years) went out with me last year on the "new to us" boat and we had an engine failure due to fuel filter clog, wind died and were nearly stranded outside the Port Ludlow bay entrance not getting to our planned Port Townsend Wooden Boat festival. All worked out ok but... So this weekend may be the decider if I become a solo sailor while she drives to marina's and meets me. :cool: