Outboard lock.

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
Question,
What do most of you guys use for a lock on the outboard?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
A long shanked padlock that feeds thru both outboard mount tightening levers. They should have holes for the shank to pass thru.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
:plus:

I prefer combo locks so I don't have to keep track of a key.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I don't know what it's called but, it is a square shaped bar about a foot long with a slot that passes over the two tightening bolts and has a recessed padlock on the end. Virtually theft-proof. Find at any store that sells boating supplies.
EDIT: After a quick search, they're called..........outboard locks. :doh:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Same here - regular padlock. But if I had a newer, more valuable motor I'd buy one of the special outboard locks, that are a hollow square bar that slides over the two tightening levers and has a lock on one end to prevent it from being slid off. That seems as if it would be more secure than a padlock, which can be cut with a bolt cutter. Of course, if they really want your motor, they will get it - the more secure lock might just push them to go for an easier target.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Mine is an old Chrysler Sailor 10 hp. I just use a good quality cable lock that wraps through the motor mount. Kind of acts like a lanyard too if the motor would fall off.

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
I don't know what it's called but, it is a square shaped bar about a foot long with a slot that passes over the two tightening bolts and has a recessed padlock on the end. Virtually theft-proof. Find at any store that sells boating supplies.
EDIT: After a quick search, they're called..........outboard locks. :doh:
I had bought one of those locks, but the motor sits in a small box so to speak, and can't slide that lock over the tightening mounts.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
The square tube will not work on a 23.5, there is not room to slide it over the bolts.

Locking the thumb screws together is fruitless as they are so easy to break.

There are bolts available with a security head that will secure the motor to the piece of wood that the motor mounts on.

There are only four bolts that hold the motor mount to the boat, that is a bit of an issue.

I made a cable that slips through the pivot tube and loops around the mounting block and the stern rail seats.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
Rick & Karyon,

I've been using the square tube lock on my 1995 H23.5 for 15 seasons now. The trick on my boat was to point the two levers both towards the rudder rather than towards each other or in opposite directions. There's a narrow range of position for the outboard to sit to make it work, but it's pretty much centered in the well and allows the engine tiller/throttle arm free movement. I think I also added extra foam padding inside the tube so it doesn't rattle.

Rick, I've also been using your rudder lock design for almost as long. Thanks again! :)

Rick

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Garhauer makes a robust lock for a reasonable cost. Suggest you check it out on their website.

Last edited:

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
For my H26, I use the Master Lock square tube bar. Because of the tight fit, it would only install upside down, with the lock's key hole facing up. After a year or so, the lock corroded enough that the key wouldn't open it. With a Dremel tool, a portable battery booster, and a cheap power inverter, I cut through the square bar in about 1 minute. Still, I bought another one just like it as a replacement. This time I I packed the keyhole with bearing grease. Like they say, if someone really wants to steal your outboard, they will. BrianW

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Like they say, if someone really wants to steal your outboard, they will. BrianW

Yup. All you can do is try to make it difficult enough that the scumbags go steal somebody else's motor. And hopefully get shot doing it.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Rick, how did you get that square tube to slide over the handles given the sides of the hull opening right up near the ends of the tube, even if they are both pointing toward the rudder?

Jun 2, 2004
My tube separates into 2 pieces top and bottom. just put the bottom half in place and snap the top part in place. Maybe there are different styles?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
There are, I was really confused. The ones I have seen slide on from one side and I could not see anyway it would work. Where do those come from and who makes them?

Jun 2, 2004
Mine says "outboard motor lock by Fulton". I believe I got it at Canadian Tire 14 years ago.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
There are only four bolts that hold the motor mount to the boat, that is a bit of an issue.
This seemed to me an invitation to go after those bolts with a ratchet and a pipe. Perhaps identifying the culprits after the fact is a better solution, if you can locate enough of their remains.