Radar upgrade

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
This is offered as a personal experience. I hope the info offers another perspective that aids others.

Near the end of last season the Furuno system on our boat failed. Then search for a replacement began in earnest. A set of parameters was established. Among these were:
NEEDS
*digital
*overlay on chart plotter
WANTS
*color
*interface with auto helm
* non mast mount

All brands and makes were vetted. At the end of the process the Raymarine was selected. Since my auto helm is Raymarine and I was assured of compatibility it became an easy selection.

Plus side: Outstanding radar overlay on the chart plotter in color makes it much easier to determine targets from ATONS and shoreline. A transom mounted tower lowered to antenna and decreased the trail effect of a return, as the unit was not 30 feet up a rocking mast.

Down Side: MFD touch screen unit is very complicated with mind boggling abilities. The simplest of functions used by a GPS chart plotter can be very difficult to set up.
The assured interface with my auto helm never materialized. There is no ability to power up and program the MFD away from the boat. You will need to take your laptop in order to view the CD. It is about 400 pages deep. Googling set up tips and shortcuts only results in "sales" demos, and they are incomplete.

So if you are looking, regardless of brand I would go with a color digital unit that provide overlay to the chart plotter. ~~(\_~~

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
MFD touch screen unit is very complicated with mind boggling abilities
Yeah!
But after practice and practice of locating what you use, it is a breeze! My problem was steer or touch screen at first. Kinda like texting on a iPhone.

Mine is mast mounted and I have no issues with my boat rocking up to 20°, even then Raymarine software will compensate.
It took me, it seemed forever, to find and align my radar overlay to match my chart plotter.
Jim...

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Which MFD? I have the e7. Manual is on the MFD, you can access and read it there without a laptop.

I got the HD color radar. Wow.

By the way, of your autopilot is not interfaced, how are you getting the heading data that allows for chart/radar overlay?

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Another reason to move the antenna down from the mast is that it lessens the possibility of damage when unstepping. Those of you who sail year long in warmer climes have no need to worry here. In the north where ice and snow are not a threat but a reality it is the better option. While many owners prefer to leave the rigs up, I feel it better to unstep. This also affords the rig time to relax and allows for close inspection and easy replacement of halyards and sheaves.
With regards to the non interfaced auto helm: I believe the built in GPS provides the info as long as there is movement. If I stop, so does the overlay.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have the e7. Mine won't allow overlay because I'm never going fast enough for good enough heading information. Perhaps I missed something in the manual?

Our mast is unstepped every year, and my scanner is on the mast. I don't care for the alternate mounts. Mine is mounted fairly low on the mast, though, about 13' above the coach roof.

With the new radars, as you know, it's only power and ethernet to connect and disconnect each year. I used Anderson Powerpoles for power, RJ-45 plugs and a junction for the data.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Perhaps I missed something in the manual?
My a98's radar over lay on the chart plotter adjusts Azimuth deviation of the radar to match the chart. Heading is relative to how you want to view your chart (example North up). Your position on the chart is GPS determined. If you use a crude scaled chart, then it will only be approximate anyway.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I just upgraded my a98 MFD software last Thursday. I saw a new manual version and downloaded it. It is the same as e7. :wow3: they add bunches of new stuff including Active Captain integration if you have the right chart Company, 3D earth views, Storm tracking relative to your boat, DSC Alert integration with the option to set your boats course to intercept the distress call's position, and much more. Amazing!

@jviss go to chapter 14.16 Overlays in new LightHouse 17. You can select using your flux compass or GPS COG to now auto sync your Radar overlay on your Charts. Mine is selected flux compass so that is why I was puzzled at your post#6. You can also select GPS SOG versus your knot meter.:thumbup:
Jim...