Engine gauges C30 MKIII gone bad

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
I recently bought this C30 MKIII. During the survey it was pointed out that the volt meter was bad, pegged to the right. The voltage was measured at the alternator and read 14 volts. A few weeks into ownership and now the fuel gauge is pegged to the left (empty). I know I have a half tank. There is condensation visible in the gauges. Is this common? Is there a fix or replace?

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
It's an MK I not III. MK I were built all the way to the end of 1985. Then came the II's. III's were not built until the 90's.
It sounds to me like it may be a grounding issue. Check all your connections.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
...Had a similar problem. Turned out to be the dashboard breaker. May be the same for you. Worth a try. Otherwise, as JohnVTX commented, it is probably a ground problem. Electrical issues are always the most frustrating. Good Luck.

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
It's an MK I not III. MK I were built all the way to the end of 1985. Then came the II's. III's were not built until the 90's.
It sounds to me like it may be a grounding issue. Check all your connections.
I will breakout the multi meter. BTY, not sure what you mean John, my boat is a 2000 MKIII.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
There is condensation visible in the gauges. Is this common?
Yes. Common and expected. There are breather holes that let moisture out when the instrument heats up from the lighting, etc. The holes also let moisture in. The internals are built to ignore moisture on good instruments.
Mine are brand new. Still condense.

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
It is disappointing. The replacements are around $50/ea. You would think for that price these things would last. I am going to take them off and put them in a vacuum oven where I work. Hopefully they will come around.