New approach for Beneteau headliner fails

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Many know the headliner failure issue on Beneteaus of the 1985-2000 era. On my old First 235 jackdaw, and I documented the repair online. I did the standard approach:

Pull down all the headliner than has not yet fallen
Remove ALL the glue from the hull
Use old headliner parts as pattern for hull-blanket replacement
Glue the new hull-blanket up.

Worthwhile, but I spend TONS OF TIME prepping and measuring cutting etc. Getting all the glue off was huge work, as was cutting the new material.

So.

My 1996 First 260 has the same material on the hull walls, When the port side failed, I thought long and hard about how I wanted to handle it, and how much time I wanted to invest. So I:

Pulled it down from the top, but left it attached on the bottom.
Used a metal scraper to remove old foam from hull
Used 3M scratch block to remove as much glue as possible
Used shop vac to remove any remaining foam from the vinyl.

When that was done, I coated the hull and the vinyl with 3M headliner adhesive per the instruction, and pushed it back up. That was 3 years ago and it looks like the day I did it. The 3M stuff is very happy gripping on the remnants of the old glue, so no need to spend HOURS getting it 100% off. Saved tons of time.

Last weekend the starboard side fell. Looked like this.

60 minutes later with 2 people working, this.

I expect to last as long as I own the boat. Seems like a better approach if you value your time sailing as much as I.

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Looks beautiful!
Terrible that Beneteau won't stand behind such failures....

Chris

Many know the headliner failure issue on Beneteaus of the 1985-2000 era. On my old First 235 jackdaw, and I documented the repair online. I did the standard approach:

Pull down all the headliner than has not yet fallen
Remove ALL the glue from the hull
Use old headliner parts as pattern for hull-blanket replacement
Glue the new hull-blanket up.

Worthwhile, but I spend TONS OF TIME prepping and measuring cutting etc. Getting all the glue off was huge work, as was cutting the new material.

So.

My 1996 First 260 has the same material on the hull walls, When the port side failed, I thought long and hard about how I wanted to handle it, and how much time I wanted to invest. So I:

Pulled it down from the top, but left it attached on the bottom.
Used a metal scraper to remove old foam from hull
Used 3M scratch block to remove as much glue as possible
Used shop vac to remove any remaining foam from the vinyl.

When that was done, I coated the hull and the vinyl with 3M headliner adhesive per the instruction, and pushed it back up. That was 3 years ago and it looks like the day I did it. The 3M stuff is very happy gripping on the remnants of the old glue, so no need to spend HOURS getting it 100% off. Saved tons of time.

Last weekend the starboard side fell. Looked like this.

60 minutes later with 2 people working, this.

I expect to last as long as I own the boat. Seems like a better approach if you value your time sailing as much as I.

Nov 8, 2010
To be fair, most of this happens TWENTY YEARS into the boats life. And normally to the 3rd or 4th owner.

If the headliner fell on your 2nd-hand 1987 Lincoln, would you expect Ford to fix it for free?

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
Yes, if it were faulty.
Over time, everything is "faulty." UV, heat, oxygen, water, salt, microorganisms, all degrade parts of the boat. I don't think manufacturers can be held responsible for this inevitability.

Apr 6, 2013
Beneteau 35s5 Belleville
Hi Jackdaw -- I to have the dreaded Bene headliners are falling syndrome.
Can you confirm the 3M product you used -- they seem to have multiple headliner adhesives. Guessing maybe 3M 38808 ? Aerosol or brush on ?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
@Jackdaw - I'd like to know too, as I'm going to use your shortcut to put up new hull blanket fabric in the V-berth. Also, in the OP, what is a "3M scratch block"?

Nov 8, 2010
Right! Here is the 3M stuff I talked about.

This jazz really will remove the adhesive. Use enough at it totally dissolves it. Less and it unglues it and makes a putty you have to roll off. But this time I skiped this step and when straight to the pads below.

Before you do this, get as much off as you can with these pads.
3M 88N Niagara Scouring Pad - Heavy Duty

Then glue it up with

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Thanks Jackdaw. I was going to sand all the fuzz off the hull with a random orbital sander connected to a vacuum cleaner. This may require more elbow grease, but it may actually be more effective on the fuzz, as the sandpaper would likely clog. I like the enormous "pore size" on these pads. The real time savings will be in not having to get ALL of the glue off.

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks Jackdaw. I was going to sand all the fuzz off the hull with a random orbital sander connected to a vacuum cleaner. This may require more elbow grease, but it may actually be more effective on the fuzz, as the sandpaper would likely clog. I like the enormous "pore size" on these pads. The real time savings will be in not having to get ALL of the glue off.
Yea. The old glue is rather tenacious, and is not going anywhere. Get the loose stuff off, and the rough pad leaves some 'tooth' on the remaining glue to create a good bonding surface. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. ;^)