So, lets talk anchors

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
I really wanted to talk about something simple and easy, like religion or Trump, but lets do this.

I'm considering upgrading my hook. Ive used an oversized Danforth (a real one) for forever. Danforths have amazing holding power, placing in the upper echelon of many tests, but let the wind swing you and . . . not so much. They tend to skip and tumble, not reset. So I'm looking at next gen anchors. Anybody have any opinions on the subject? The anchor would need to be in the 20 pound range and be manageable enough to store below. An all-chain rode is not an option ( and studies show is not required) . My boat is presently a Lancer 25 but in the next year or two, will miraculously become an O'day 272 or 302.

Any body want to weigh in?

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
we went from a Danforth that came with the boat to a Manson Supreme. We had a bad Danforth expierence in Florida and when we got our boat after much research and depending on your holding bottom-Manson Supreme-and it has not let us down.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Took the features I liked from several, and designed/built my own. cost me about $20.00 and works like $1K . could not be happier with it.
P1040169.jpg

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I got 35lb Mantus for my H-36 and works fantastic and grabs fast and like cement.
Also lots of chain will always make most anchors do a much better job like a normal Delta and say 50 ft of chain but even better 100 ' of chain any anchor will so much more better job.
Nick

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I think I've dragged just about everything at one time or another. Had my best success with a BRUCE. Our current boat has a Bruce, a CQR and a Danforth. Each has it's own bottom preference. Up here on the B.C. coast we have a lot of rocky bottoms that suit the Bruce well.

May 11, 2016
Hunter Passage 42 Jensen Beach
Well I mite as well jump in on this post!;)
I have been boating almost 40 years and over that time I have used many of the anchors out there.
The reason I started working with Mantus Anchors is the products work! I have never had an anchor set so fast, and stay set like this anchor.
Take some time and check out some of our video and then check out some other people out there that are doing anchor tests and you will see that we out set and reset better then most.

www.mantusanchors.com

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I think I've dragged just about everything at one time or another. Had my best success with a BRUCE. Our current boat has a Bruce, a CQR and a Danforth. Each has it's own bottom preference. Up here on the B.C. coast we have a lot of rocky bottoms that suit the Bruce well.
Same here. Coming onto 12,000 cruising miles with this one. 22 pound SL Bruce clone, but I use 70 feet of chain with it. Only place it ever failed to set was Frazer Hogg Key, Berry's. and the cruising guide said anchors wouldn't set there. Like trying to anchor on a concrete slab. I took a mooring..

I also carry a true Danforth but would never go to sleep with that as the only anchor set, in a tidal situation. Seen them fail to reset too many times.

Attachments

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Beautiful Maine has such rocky bottoms, your results may vary. I agree all chain is not always necessary. We have 36? pound made in Scotland cqr that has never failed. With just a short length of chain we have been in 25 plus knot winds veering all around and just 6 or 7 scope in crowded anchorages and never dragged. On a club cruise to a small leaf covered bottom other boats with danfors had great difficulty getting set but the old Scott set on the first try. The bay bottom is mostly muck, but on the rocky Maine coast, I be afraid of getting it to break out when it comes time to weigh anchor.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Love the 25 lb. Manson Supreme on the Mac and it has never drug, regardless of the bottom with 30 ft of chain and the rest line. I usually put out more scope than others do, but I'm usually by myself so no problem. Bought a 35 lb. Manson for the Endeavour.

Or give Russ $40 for his and he would double his money and could make another one :):), Nice job Russ, I might just have to make a backup to the Manson.

My second anchor is a 22 lb. bruce and it also worked very well before buying the Manson and drug about 20' one time. Sometimes depending on the weather and where I am I'll put them both down since I don't wake up easy and want to be in the same spot in the morning.

Only problem with both is they are not well suited to storing below. Why is that a necessity? I do carry also a Fortress FX-11 and they get good reviews but I've never used it yet. I would not go with anything under a 25 lb. for what you want to do if you change to the larger boat unless you can be assured of never being on anchor when a major front blows through,

Sumner
====================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have found with my Mantus and 90 ft of chain that I put a lot less scope out and in a crowded anchorage
is very good and see the Mantus tip its design is what makes the mantus so much better.
Nick

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
@Sumner - Are those rode bags tied down in some way? I really like the idea, and this is not the first time I've seen that picture, so I thought this time I would ask.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
@Sumner - Are those rode bags tied down in some way? I really like the idea, and this is not the first time I've seen that picture, so I thought this time I would ask.
Yes, tied to the pulpit and life lines...

Never had a problem in over a thousand miles of cruising. The bitter end of the rode comes out the bottom and also is tied to the pulpit. I didn't ...

... fasten the lid once and in rough seas in the Bahamas the chain started to come out and I had to go forward to take care of that problem. I started with soft-sided bags first but didn't like them as it was harder to stuff the rode into as the sides collapsed. These I love and it is so easy and fast to pull the rode in and just stuff it into the bag and it comes out every time with never a tangle. If conditions are good I can leave the bag open and the rode dries pretty quickly. I anchor almost every night (unless I beach the boat) so having anchor gear that is dependable and easy and fast to use, even single-handed, is very important to me and the bags accomplish that.

I also always have the anchor and chain by it secured to a cleat with carabiners and a short line when the anchor is up so they can't go overboard.

More on the bags here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/rigging-20.html

Sumner

=========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I own or have owned a venerable $hit ton of anchors..

I currently own:

Genuine Bruce, CQR's - 2, Fortress - 2, Spade aluminum and Spade steel, Mantus, Rocna, Manson Supreme, Danforth, Supermax, Oceane/Sword.

I have owned: Delta, Northill, Danforth and Bruce knock offs, and Delta knock-offs.

My bower/swinging anchors, in order of tested performance in my home waters: Mantus, Rocna, Spade STEEL, Manson Supreme... (These four are all very good performers)

My stern/directional pull anchor = *Fortress

*Used to use it as a bow anchor but it almost put us on a solid granite ledge in a wind shift when it un-set and began "skating".

For the last 1.5 seasons the Rocna has been on the bow but only because it fits our roller "slightly" better than the Mantus does. The Mantus sets and re-sets better than the Rocna (slightly) and eventually I will modify my roller to fit the Mantus.

In terms of value and performance it is very hard to beat a Mantus..