Removal of forward water tank

Nov 6, 2014
Yankee Yankee Seahorse 24 Beaver Lake
My son suggested we cut up the old water tank located in the bow so we can remove it. The tank is 44 years old, probably made with toxic plastic, and we will not be using it for drinking water. There is no way to get a new tank back in that location.

That space could be used for storage of the sails.

We can store two or three gallon jugs of drinking water under the sink. He suggest we plumb the sink to draw water from the lake for hand washing or cleaning the boat.

If we sell the boat sometime in the future, it would most likely be to someone who lives on the lake.

It looks like it would hold 30 gallons or so. The previous owner never used it. It was disconnected when we purchased the boat.

The only way to remove it is to cut it up with a sawall.

Any thoughts on removing it. It was never intended to be replaced.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I'd leave it alone. And empty.

If I was using the boat as a day sailor with an occasional overnight, I wouldn't need the additional storage. I wouldn't want to have to dig under v-berth cushions and lift a panel to access my sails. Would prefer to have them folded, possibly bagged, and sitting out in the open in the v-berth. Spare sails that don't really get used can stay at home.

Like you, we rely on bottled water for drinking on our Catalina 28 that we use for daysailing and the occasional trip on Lake Michigan. I don't want to consume water that's been sitting in a warm water tank for weeks. Ugh.

Nov 6, 2014
I'd leave it alone. And empty.

If I was using the boat as a day sailor with an occasional overnight, I wouldn't need the additional storage. I wouldn't want to have to dig under v-berth cushions and lift a panel to access my sails. Would prefer to have them folded, possibly bagged, and sitting out in the open in the v-berth. Spare sails that don't really get used can stay at home.

Like you, we rely on bottled water for drinking on our Catalina 28 that we use for daysailing and the occasional trip on Lake Michigan. I don't want to consume water that's been sitting in a warm water tank for weeks. Ugh.
You bring up a good point, Siamese. We keep the boat in a slip that has a storage unit nearby. We could keep the sails in that storage unit, ten feet from the boat, until we need them. Access to them there would certainly be much easier there than getting to them where the water tank is currently located. Thank you for your suggestion.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I would be careful about storing sails in a storage unit, mice love the material sails are made of, so if the storage unit isn't 100% mouse proof you will be taking your stored sails to the loft for repair.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Drinking coffee.GIF Doctor bought a 260 from a competitor who would not service his boat until he called and of course I drove 6 hours to work on it. Enjoyed the scenery but Doc finally listened to me about putting moth balls under the mainsail cover after two mainsails were eaten by squirrels. That trained the squirrels not to come back and no more moth balls. One nearby would work but might stink the boat up a little
Back to drinking coffee

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You guys bring up a good point about storing sails. Mine are on a shelf in my garage, but I have seen mice scurrying about. Maybe it's better to store them on the boat! Time to set some traps and bait! :cuss:
I would not remove the tank. You may outgrow the 24' and it might sell better with it.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Yes mildew is no stranger to a sailboat, but it gets much much worse if you put a sail in a sealed container

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I assumed when making that statement we all know not to put or store wet sails away even in an open locker.
Point thou was well taken and needed to be pointed out. thank you daydreamer41. Take care
PS I think you are near the bridge going over into Canada? Been across it various times. Canadian customs were pleasant to deal with. On the other side, different story but if treating American custom officers with respect, things go a whole lot easier. Customer was with me bringing his boat back over into the U.S. and I told him I would do the talking. He quipped about that and spoke angering customs. His boat got torn apart. When they were going to take by suburban apart a call was made to a friend of mine who was basically third in command of customs. The agent talking in her office apologized but I apologized for that foolish customer. I told her I would take care of him 20 miles down the road. Boy did I and he learned about humility. See ya.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
we switched from mothballs to those little sheets you put into clothes dryers to make the clothes smell good. (as to the smell- well that's a matter of taste..) we've been using the dryer sheets for the sail bags, in the lockers, and in the various rv compartments for several years now. they smell better than mothballs and work as well.

Nov 6, 2014
We currently have our sails stored in the metal storage unit on our dock. We will move them back inside the boat after we find a water leak. After a hard rain last week, I found a cup of water had gotten inside the boat. It must have come in through the hatch somehow. The new windows are not leaking. The water was right below the teak hatch slots cut out for ventilation. I guess high winds could have blown some water through those.

The water might have come in from above where we removed an old soft foam type seal that was under the removable cabin roof. We will add a rubber seal later this spring. It takes two people to completely remove the cover and set it down off of the boat. I want to clean the one inch wide opening that goes around the perimeter, before applying the rubber seal.