Tongue too light

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
On my mac 224 i keep my yamaha 9.9 on while towing therefore making tongue a bit to lite for comfort under tow, before season again i intend to move axel back a bit. Question is how far! What should tongue weight be?

Feb 13, 2016
My guess is im weighing in at 2400 and my tongue weight is maybe 60lbs, no wonder she wants to sway around on the highway!

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
On my 26S with the single axle trailer (somewhat similar), under 150 pounds tongue weight creates control issues. Over 200 pounds and it tows stable but other issue factor in also such as the height of the hitch. Also, is the boat sitting all the way forward on the trailer? This is often the main reason for low tongue weight.

Feb 13, 2016
Yea boats forward, towed fine til i started leaving outboard on but 2 shoulder surgerys now removing is not much of an option, guess ill cut loose and keep sliding back til 200lbs +- is achieved

Feb 13, 2016
Cut loose spring shackles i mean and adjust back to get proper tongue weight

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
The 10% to 15% is a place to start but I also feel you have leeway depending on what the tow vehicle is. My suburban and hitch is fine to 500#. I'm a little over 400#. If you tow with a heavier vehicle that has the capacity to have more tongue weight than say towing with a car more tongue weight isn't going to hurt, even if it is over the 15%. I like tongue weight myself up to what is acceptable. I wouldn't go right to 500# though. Also more weight on the tow vehicle means less weight on the trailer springs/axle/tires, but does put more stress on the tongue.

What Walt said about trying to set the hitch up so the tongue is parallel to the road is a good idea.

Also while the boat is on the trailer move as much as possible to the V-berth. Mount your spare on the tongue if it isn't already there, etc..

Sumner
=================================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2016
We have a newer f150 so tongue weight shouldnt be an issue, i also like a even trailer/tongue, truck set up. My only scale for measuring tongue weight stops at 350lb, when that hits max i should be pretty good.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
My idea would be more beer in the bow to balance that OB. But I'm usually looking for the simple life.

All U Get

Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
I dunno. My girlfriend said my tongue weight is perfect. :p Don't overdo the pressure or later like they said, you will loose parallel. :what: Maybe shift some weight into the vberth. :liar: But a little tail wag is ok. :ass: Just don't slam the brakes. Maybe just add a little momentum and coast till wagging stops :pimp:

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="All U Get, ...My idea would be more beer in the bow to balance that OB..... [/QUOTE]

Would that get you busted for "driving under the influence"?

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Why do you not just put trailer tongue on the scale, with perhaps a 2" square plywood foot on the trailer pole?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Why do you not just put trailer tongue on the scale, with perhaps a 2" square plywood foot on the trailer pole?
Could be because your average bathroom scale can't handle much over 300 lbs, if that.

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
MacGregor 26D COUR D ALENE
Is thought a 60/40 split whatever that works out to be. 60% on the tongue.
Cheers

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
From the etrailer web site (using the method Sumner suggested if the tongue weight exceeds the scale range

To use the method in Figure B, follow these guidelines:

• Always place the trailer tongue 1 foot from the pipe on the support brick
  • Multiply the reading on the scale by the total distance between the 2 support pipes
  • Use a brick that is the same thickness as the scale so that the 2 x 4 is level when you weigh your trailer

For example, if the distance between the trailer tongue and the pipe on the scale is 2 feet and the distance between the trailer tongue and the pipe on the support brick is 1 foot, then you would multiply the reading on the scale by 3 to get the tongue weight. If the distance between the trailer tongue and the pipe on the scale is 3 feet and the distance between the trailer tongue and the pipe on the support brick is 1 foot, then you would multiply the reading on the scale by 4 to get the tongue weight.