Got resolutions?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Happy New Year everyone!

What's your boating resolution for 2017? Upgrades, refits, major repairs, or maybe a long cruise this year? What's in your calendar?

2017.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
This should be fun
My father called New Year's Eve and asked about planning a week long cruise with me and his grand kids. We are considering lake champaingne or maybe the northern boarder of lake erie but we are in the early stages and the plan will most likely change a few times before we settle in on something

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
RG. I think the planning and the engaging the participants is almost as much fun as the actual event.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I have many projects that did not get done in 2016. I resolve to resolve that issue in 2017.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Phil, our family thanks you, and a Happy New Year to you and your family, too.

Until I checked our maintenance log, I thought new bottom paint was on the agenda for this year. Not so. Usually good for seven years, I was thinking we last did it in 2010, but no it was 2011, so good for one more year.

Finally repaired the warm air duct to our aft cabin heat pump. No heat though, so it appears a recharge with some R-22 is in order.

Also, my boating buddy gifted me his Aladdin 23 brass mantel lantern http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ala...214998?hash=item2a7832b316:g:VMoAAOSw241YVIVy that he no longer used. Been cleaning it and trying to decide where to place it on the boat. It also has the bulkhead gimbal mount bracket. Very nice.

Change oil/filter in main engine and Genset and more sailing.

Last edited:

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
I use an Aladdin lamp for heat/light. They throw a lot of heat out the top of the chiminy. Make sure you use/make a heat deflector and keep the wick trimmed so as not to put black spots on the mantle. They grow until they cover the mantle.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
And, as fore-warned by Peggie, starting January 1, 2017, anyone caught with a Jabsco head will be arrested by the Potty Police.
upload_2017-1-2_14-48-20.png

Dec 25, 2000
And, as fore-warned by Peggie, starting January 1, 2017, anyone caught with a Jabsco head will be arrested by the Potty Police.
View attachment 131546
Nonsense. Our 1991 P42 came equipped with two Jabsco sea water electric heads. Still original, still work even with lots of use. But Peggie will say that the old ones were better made than today. Perhaps, but no reason to disparage a product just because the potty police prefer a different brand.:snooty:

Dec 25, 2000
I use an Aladdin lamp for heat/light. They throw a lot of heat out the top of the chiminy. Make sure you use/make a heat deflector and keep the wick trimmed so as not to put black spots on the mantle. They grow until they cover the mantle.
Thanks Gene. That is why my boating buddy gave it up on his smaller boat. Had not used it for years for that reason. It comes with a heat shield.:thumbup:

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Resolution #1
I will not remind everyone of how much warmer it is in the Bahamas or that we will cross from Florida as soon as the temps fall below 75 degrees.

All U Get
Shrink Wrap Anonymous

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'm going to get my ICC certification. Its getting harder to charter in the Med without it.

I've wanted to do it for several years, but its hard for Americans because it has to be tested for and issued by the organizing sailing body that signed the UN resolution creating it. As the US did not, we have to get it though an European sailing body, like the RYA in England.

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
Possible trip to Cuba with a group of other boats

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'm going to get my ICC certification. Its getting harder to charter in the Med without it. I've wanted to do it for several years, but its hard for Americans because it has to be tested for and issued by the organizing sailing body that signed the UN resolution creating it. As the US did not, we have to get it though an European sailing body, like the RYA in England.
JACK, I'M NOT GOING TO SAY YOU'RE WRONG, BUT I DON'T THINK YOU ARE RIGHT. MY CLUB CHARTERS TWICE A YEAR, AND THE SKIPPERs-TO-BE GET THEIR TICKET IN THE STATES FROM VARIOUS SOUURCES.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
JACK, I'M NOT GOING TO SAY YOU'RE WRONG, BUT I DON'T THINK YOU ARE RIGHT. MY CLUB CHARTERS TWICE A YEAR, AND THE SKIPPERs-TO-BE GET THEIR TICKET IN THE STATES FROM VARIOUS SOUURCES.
Caps stuck or are you shouting because I'm so far away? (That's a Maine thing)

All U Get

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
Sail. It seems obvious, but up until now I've been waiting for the fam to be available AND enthused about going.